Chapter Twenty

1 day later

Steve still couldn't recollect what he had forgotten. 

Everything seemed foreign, yet familiar. Like an itch he couldn't scratch. 

Everyone seemed to be on edge. It was as if staying in one place made you vulnerable. Everyone kept training, working, moving. 

They couldn't stop. 

If they did..

***

Annabeth Chase found herself in front of the gods. 

Each one of their impending, piercing stares landed on her miniscule, insignificant self. 

"Daughter, you have the knowledge of why you have been summoned." Athena stated, her tone clipped. 

Her eyes filled with compassion, yet an emotion that shouldn't be known to gods. 

Fear. 

Fear seems to fill all of their features. Shivers seemed to rack her body, goose flesh appeared on her arms. 

Her heart palpated. 

"It's an end that leads to a beginning. And I am the spark to the flame. The red flower that causes fear and unrest. I am change. I am your undoing or your saviour." she said, her voice gravelly.

2 days later

Everyone fought with tooth and nail. 

There was no room for mercy. 

Determination was written on their faces. "Together we fight. Together we end this eternal night." Annabeth chanted. 

Her voice is strong and clear. There was no hint of hesitation left in it. There was no holding back. 

The weight of the world seemed to rest on her shoulders. 

If she were to fail-

3 days later

There was nothing left. Everything was gone. 

A barren waste land only remained. 

They had failed. 

Not even the almighty, omnipotent, omniscient gods could stop him. The winds seemed to carry their forgotten words. 

Their screams, cries, wails. 

Everything. 

One of the many multi universes in the plethora of infinity had failed.

The watcher could only look away in despair.

3 days later

Teenagers surrounded by ornate shrouds that were ready to be ignited. All the brave souls that fought that day finally found rest. 

They will face judgement and only hope to taste the sweetness of the afterlife. 

Annabeth held Leo close as they lit Thalia's shroud. 

Tears streamed down both their faces. An everlasting ache seemed to reside in them. 

Annabeth felt tired.

 The amount of funerals and burning she had attended had been more than enough for a lifetime. 

The demigoddess despised war. 

She knew it was inevitable. 

There was no stopping it. 

She would forever be a pawn to the gods.