8

dream

I woke up to the birds chirping brightly outside my window and lifted myself out of bed to open my curtains. It was sunny already, and there was a small Florida scrub jay on the sill. It looked up at me with beady eyes, which made me smile.

Then I remembered - George. he had been there with me as I fell asleep last night. He was there.

I had laid awake longer than usual so that I could hear George's breath slow down, listen to his rest. It took a while, but eventually, I heard his breaths draw out. He was asleep.

It comforted me knowing that George went to sleep unpanicked.

I went back to grab my phone from my nightstand, to see George was no longer on call. I sighed, thinking that he had probably woken up before me or something, and padded off to the shower.

The shower water was hot and steamy by the time I had finished washing my face, and I was ready to get in. 

I pulled off my shirt from the night before, leaving me in my dark green stripy pyjama bottoms.

Even though it wasn't even an outfit, I looked good. [cocky mf]

I watched myself in the mirror, observing my slightly tired facial features, a hint of red on my cheeks from the humidity of the shower. 

All of a sudden, my phone began to vibrate, seeing it was George calling me. I immediately became flustered, questioning whether or not I should actually pick up. 

A second later, I catch myself picking up.

"Hi, George." I stammered, my heart fluttering from the thought of him.

"Good morning. What are you doing? Are you frying something?" He asked, clearly hearing the fuzzy background noise of the shower. 

"Ehhehe, no George, it's my shower. I'm about to have a shower."

"Oh- sorry, I'll go. Sorry for interrupting I guess."  His voice was croaky, almost like he had choked on water or something. But it was still pretty as ever.

"No don't worry, how did you sleep? You didn't hang up too long ago right?" 

"Oh yeah, sorry, my phone ran out. Sorry," he said, in a hurry.

"Hey, don't apologize so much, it's fine, really. Anyway, I must say, you're a pretty chatty sleeper." I said, amused slightly at the rate he was speaking.

"Dream! What the hell no I didn't!?" He screeched.

"Dream" I mocked.

"Please Dream,"

"Dream I want it."

"You're lying! I didn't say those things!" George laughed, sounding very flustered.

"Maybe you did, maybe you didn't. Only I will ever know I guess,

He giggled. A sound I will forever treasure.

"Stop. Stop it. How am I supposed to censor what I dream about anyway? Trust me, I wish I could." For the first time in months, I heard a spark in his voice, a spark that I'd been trying to light for the past eternity.

"You aren't, I just get the pleasure to hear it I guess."

"What else did you hear..."

I think for a second.

"Well, there was a lot of leave Dream and get out, get out before, but you never finished your sentences," I said, more quietly, not wanting to start the day off negatively. "Never finished your sentences," I repeated, trailing off.

"Oh." 

The call fell silent.

"Anyway, I'm gonna get in the shower now, so either you're gonna have to listen to me singing, or you can leave." I was trying to lighten the mood. Overtalking about this sad shit wasn't helping anyone.

"I think I'll pass on that one today. Bye Dream." He giggled, again.

"I love you, Georgie." He hung up. Oh well, at least he heard it.

Plugging in my phone, I hit shuffle on my playlist.

Immediately, a very suitable song came on.

I stepped in listening to the gentle chords of Heart Like Yours playing. 

Breathe deep, breathe clear,

Know that I'm here,

Know that I'm here,

Waiting.

The song felt like I was speaking to George. Like I was communicating through someone else. Like he would understand what I was trying to tell him.

Waiting.

I'll see you soon, I'll see you soon,

How could a heart like yours,

Ever love a heart like mine?

George was mine, and I was lucky. I was going to make sure that it lasted. Forever.

Ever since the beginning, he was all I ever wanted, he was my only desire.

And now I had him.

You opened up my eyes...

I couldn't let him slip out of reach. I had to be there, so close, barely leave room for him to get out. I knew how self-deprecating he could be, and I was determined to stop that. 

Somehow, he didn't see himself the way I saw him, but maybe if I had really opened up my eyes I would have seen it was more than a lack of self-confidence. 

I'll see you soon,

I'll see you soon,

The warm water trickled gracefully down my back, making me curl out slightly. It was okay.

I felt at rest.

WORD COUNT: 852

yo. I'm gonna do a George's pov of this in chapter 9 because it'll emphasize the was that even though they seem connected, their thinking is incredibly far apart. 

I know its not that exciting, but it creates attachment issues, so the break will hit even harder LMFAO.

I'm so mean. Anyways. 

Love yall that comment on my tiktoks sm - its hydra.alt btw.

VOTEEEEEEEEE