{19} didn't even try, and you know, judo flip me

RELIEF SEEPED INTO Peter's body the moment he stepped inside the apartment.

A feeling of safety rippled over his body before burying itself under his skin and settling into his bones while he practically collapsed onto the couch. He shrugged off the headphones and dragged a cushion into his lap, fingers curling into the familiar fabric and holding it tight. Natasha sent him one final look before searching the kitchen for hot chocolate.

Peter remained silent despite the sounds of the cupboards opening and closing- not even the vent creaking roused him, instead his eyes remained glued to the coffee table.

A soft 'thump' sounded as Clint dropped to the ground, his feet hitting the floor. He looked around, frowning before he noticed Peter and stared at the teenager as though he was some new species and he didn't want to scare him off. "Spider baby. There is something wrong with the spider baby!" He announced, spinning around theatrically in search for his best friend, "He didn't even try, and you know, judo flip me this time." Clint gaped in mock shock, hiding his genuine concern as Natasha walked past, ignoring Clint entirely. She sidestepped the archer with two mugs of hot chocolate in her hands; Clint pouted behind her.

She set them down before silently nudging Peter's arm. After a beat of no response, her eyes flickered to Clint who flopped into the armchair.

"Pete? Wanna talk?" Peter let out a short, noncommittal hum. "Use your words kid."

Clint's tone was light and joking, but he leaned forwards, the lines on his face deepening. Peter licked his lip, "Hydra car. Tried running me and Harley over." He summarised simply, his forehead creasing in thought before he finally looked between the adults who were staring at one another, communicating wordlessly over his head.

"Use your words." He mimicked half-heartedly.

"Respect your elders." Natasha smirked.

He didn't laugh at her teasing tone. There was barely a smile and tension mounted in Natasha's shoulders- she hated when he was silent and blank faced. It reminded her too much of when he first arrived, moulded and shaped by Hydra; she refused to let them take him from her now.

"Clint go to the Chinese takeaway-"

The archer grumbled, "But-"

"Now." Her eyes refused to leave Peter as she ordered Clint away.

A moment later he left the apartment, the soft click of the door echoed slightly. Peter didn't blink, just continued to stare at the coffee table.

"Peter." Natasha stated, patiently waiting for the teen to turn and look at her; for him to move or say anything at all. It was unnerving. Usually, he had a quip ready and waiting, always ten steps ahead of the conversation, or was rambling about the latest Star Wars movie or an invention or a theory beyond any of their understanding- the assassin found herself loathing the seemingly unbreakable silence that had settled around them.

It was suffocating. Until he spoke.

"I've never frozen before." He mumbled, frowning further. He looked old, too old for a the fifteen-year-old he should have been. It made her chest tighten. "I can't just freeze-"

"It happens to the best of us." Natasha cut in, her tone of voice hard and non-negotiable.

The woman had seen a lot of good people freeze up in a fight; Steve with Bucky- Tony with Pepper. It happened because despite the hero complex that they operated under; they were still people with weaknesses that could be exploited. One of Peter's weaknesses was Hydra.

"You may have abilities, but you're still human."

Peter blinked at the mention of his abilities, mind involuntarily thinking back to when he first got his powers and how sick he had been for days, trapped and locked away in a cell, dry heaving on the floor while his body shook, and his skin burned everywhere- it had felt like dying.

Like the reaper himself was personally squeezing the life out of him- "I can't go back 'Tasha." He croaked out suddenly, voice tight and scratchy.

"You'll never have to."

Her words were filled with an emotion neither of them was ready to face just yet. So instead of commenting aloud, Peter let himself be tugged into the assassin's side. She tried to ignore the tremble in his body as he wrapped around hers in an awkward tangle of limbs.

"What makes you freeze?" He questioned, desperate for a change in topic.

Natasha hesitated, but the words fell from her lips anyway, always ready to bare her secrets to the boy beside her. "The Red Room. Barton." Peter felt her take in a slow breath, "You."

"Me?" He whispered in disbelief before repeating it again. "Me."

Natasha's lip quirked as she listened to Peter's voice and raked her fingers through his hair, reminding herself that he was safe under her arm, breathing and very much alive- that Hydra didn't have their hands on him. "When I first met you..." she began, being painfully truthful; she felt as though she was bearing her heart to the kid, like every deep, dark part of herself that had moulded itself into the shadows was on display for him to pick apart and react as he wished.

"I honestly had no idea you would become this important to me in the end."

Peter didn't say a word, only tightened his grip. Natasha understood the wordless gesture and relaxed a little more on the couch before mumbling, "You need to talk to Harley."

"What do I even say?" Peter asked quietly. He took a few breaths before shifting out of her arms and levelling her with a look that even she would struggle to crack. "I have a gift that people would kill to have. A gift that people have died because of. A gift I didn't even want." He said through gritted teeth, barely containing his sudden anger and bitterness directed at Hydra for making him what he was. It seeped through the words like poison anyway.

"He'll understand." Natasha said confidently. "More than you think."

"I really like him." Peter admitted. "And I don't want to scare him off. Or get him hurt."

"You're not going to, kid." Natasha soothed.

If someone had told her that Peter Parker was going to like Harley Keener of all people; the boy who had just moved into the avenger's tower and was practically a younger version of Tony Stark? Then she would have shrugged it off with a laugh. Yet here she was.

"Can I go to him now?" Peter questioned. Natasha arched an eyebrow at the teen questioningly and his sudden supply of energy. Worry unfurled in her chest.

"You good to go? Or am I going to have to pick you up again?" Peter's ears turned red at the reminder, but he nodded his head regardless. She hesitated before nodding. "Back before dinner." 

A/N

I really love this scene- Natasha is peak parent and I live for it. :))

Anywho, let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.