{44} did Clint get a face transplant?

THE LEAVES RUSTLED AND SWIRLED as the quinjet lowered itself to the ground, bay doors opening automatically before the assembled group jumped out.

"All clear Banner." Steve spoke into the comms, and a moment later the jet took off again, hidden by a cloaking device as everyone moved to stand back-to-back and surveyed the surrounding area. There were miles of woods in every direction, and north from the group was the Hydra base- Natasha itched to get closer as her thoughts strayed to Peter. Almost there.

"Wait." Tony's lowered voice froze the group. "There's no wildlife." He mumbled.

Confusion flitted across everyone's faces; Natasha shook away her thoughts and dropped to the ground slightly and strained her hearing as she glanced around. There was a distinct lack of living creatures, not even bugs or birds. Just the swirling of leaves caused by the wind.

An uneasy feeling settled over the group.

"Heat signature." Tony announced, making everyone's heads snap up on instinct and caused multiple weapons to be raised in preparation for a fight. Slowly, Natasha rose back to her full height and unsheathed her handgun, resting her finger lightly on the trigger as she squinted further into the gathering of trees. Thor tightened the grip on his hammer, nodding minutely to Steve who flanked Tony's left side so that they all stood in a line.

A twig snapped and Natasha zeroed in on the sound, scanning the treeline as the men beside her shifted their weights in anticipation.

"This is awesome- can we get a group picture?"

Any tension that had mounted instantly dissipated at the silly remark. Natasha's body drooped slightly with relief, though her finger continued to rest on the trigger as she stalked forwards, promptly ignoring Steve's warning. "I will still shoot you." She announced, despite dropping her weapon as a man stepped out from the trees and jogged forwards, grinning mischievously.

"Who are you?" Thor boomed, watching the stranger interact with Natasha.

Barney shrugged noncommittally, "Barton." his attention stayed fixed on the redhead now stood in front of him looking as menacing as ever. He fought his gut instinct to step back as she shot him a pointed look and muttered an insult.

"Idiot." She grumbled under her breath, knowing full well he could hear.

"Erm. Did Clint get a face transplant?" Tony snarked, approaching the duo. He squinted and the faceplate popped open so he could get a closer look. "Wait- don't I know you?"

"I have one of those faces." Barney offered.

Natasha pinched the bridge of her nose in an attempt to stave off a headache.

Once again, the rest of the team wore varying degrees of confused expressions as their eyes darted between Natasha and the newcomer with suspicion. Though they did relax slightly at the way Natasha interacted with him; exasperation- if Romanoff trusted someone, the team felt inclined to do the same, at least to a certain extent. It was like an unspoken agreement amongst them.

"His name is Barney; Clint's brother." She explained, before turning around to look back out at the surrounding trees, clearly in search of something.

"Barton has a brother?" Tony echoed as Barney shot a smirk in his direction. "Oh my god! Parker's uncle-"

"Bingo." Barney cheered until Natasha slapped his arm. "Always so violent." He grumbled before stepping towards the billionaire, "Clint doesn't talk about me because I am clearly the better-looking one-"

"In your dreams asshole." Clint's voice broke off his brother's as he approached the group, emerging from seemingly nowhere despite the lack of cover. Natasha kept a blank expression as she turned to face him, her eyes studying every inch of his body and stance before ultimately deciding he was mostly unscathed. Then, she glared.

"Why are you late?" She asked bluntly when he joined her side.

"Had to sneak round the back, clear a path." He shrugged, but then Nat noticed his slight wince and promptly poked his side- Clint jumped away from her, body contorting in on itself as he hissed through his teeth looking like a disgruntled cat.

"How bad?"

"Don't know what you mean-" Natasha scowled, ignoring the snickers of Barney and the rest of the avengers behind her; "- must have been your imagination."

"You're an idiot. Both of you." She hissed, jerking her head in the direction of Barney who quickly quit laughing and ducked away from the duo. He did not want another broken nose.

Everyone watched the two agents stare the other down for a moment before Clint grinned and embraced a reluctant Natasha despite her muttering under her breath in Russian. Both of them took the opportunity to discretely slip back their respective weapons; Clint hiding the single bullet in her utility belt and Natasha tucking the arrowhead into his pocket before pulling away again- she hit him upside the head as they parted and set off towards the Hydra base without looking back to see if they were following. Clint jogged to catch up before matching her long strides.

The avengers looked at one another for a moment before mumbling about the walk and beginning to follow the duo who argued quietly, and Clint dodged another jab in the ribs.

Barney smirked at them as he glanced about. 

A/N

Ok. I love Clintasha. And they're besties in this story- because if I ever make a sequel I want Nat to be asexual becase I am in love with that idea.

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.