{27} I don't know, target?

AN ALARM WENT OFF.

The sudden noise caused Peter to flinch and a sharp pain flare through his head- his body curled in on itself before he forced himself to move. To stave off the disorientation, he hauled in a sharp breath and stumbled out of the training room, shouting for Jarvis as he went and trying to muffle the piercing noise by clamping his hands over his ears. "Jarvis?! What's going on?"

"There seems to be a break in on the top floor, Mister Parker."

His body ran cold at the answer. It was obvious, but it didn't soothe any of Peter's fears when it was confirmed. Possible ideas of exit strategies and who the intruders could be raced through his mind, looping back on the one group of people he was praying it wasn't. "Where's Harley?" Peter rushed out, dread coiling in his chest and squeezing his heart while he ran towards the bedrooms, adrenaline pumping through him with every step and fighting back his impending panic attack.

"Mister Keener is-" Jarvis' voice powered down and the lights blinked out. The alarm stopped.

Peter stopped mid-step, his ears filled with the ragged sound of his own breathing; his eyes flitted around himself, adjusting to the dark. "Jarvis?" He licked his lips, "Jarvis!"

There was no answer, just a stretching silence. Peter's hands curled and gripped fistfuls of his hair as he forced himself to take in regular breaths as he strained his hearing beyond himself- there were multiple heartbeats on the floor above. They were all steady and calm, possibly the intruders but it was too difficult to be sure. Nodding to himself as he formulated a plan, Peter slowly released his strands of hair and started running back down the corridor towards the bedrooms. He practically tripped over his own feet in his haste to enter the room Tony had given him- but it was empty.

Forcing down the lurch of panic that rippled through his body, Peter grabbed his backpack and pulled out the handgun Natasha had given him a while ago. He only ever took it out to clean it.

Now he was going to use it. The mere idea made his skin crawl but he ignored the feeling.

"Peter? Peter are you here?" Steve's voice rang out. The teen poked his head out of the room, assuring it was just the captain before walking towards him; he was surprised to see the super solider in sweatpants and a t-shirt; he was clutching his shield in one hand- Peter made no comments.

However, Steve was taken aback by their similar stances and fleetingly wondered where Peter would have learnt it before noticing the gun.

"Where's Harley? And Nat?" Peter asked, worry clear in the lines of his face.

Steve didn't answer, instead his eyes dropped to the gun. "Where's you get the weapon Peter?"

Anger rose in Peter's chest and for a brief second he missed Hydra's lack of questioning when he held a weapon in his hands- they never cared how old he was, just that he never missed. "I don't know, Target?" He muttered, barely containing his stress at the lack of answer to his question as he shouldered past the soldier. He was heading towards the main area where an alarming amount of gunfire had begun to sound from; Steve followed on his heels.

"You're not just an intern, are you?" He grilled.

"What gave you that idea?" Peter spat out before taking in a long breath and looked back. He softened slightly- he didn't want to argue. "No, I'm not. But you can trust me."

Steve looked contemplative for a moment. "I do. Natasha trusts you, so by default so do I." He explained simply. Peter hesitated before nodding; anyone who the assassin trusted Peter felt inclined to also so he couldn't fault the man's logic when his was the same. "She sent me down here in the first place- Harley is with Tony." Steve added before Peter could open his mouth.

Peter nodded and together they got into the elevator. They stood side by side and Peter thanked whatever backup generator it was running on.

When the doors opened to reveal he main area they had all hours earlier been having a game's night in, Peter felt his heart sink. The room was in pieces; furniture having been turned over and bullet holes were buried deep in the walls. There were also glass shards decorating the floor, having come from where the window had previously resided- a breeze passed through the room.

"This isn't going to end well." Peter murmured as they crept into the room.

Steve raised his shield pre-emptively, "It never does kid." The teen's lip quirked at the humour.

Extending his hearing, Peter picked up, "Target has arrived." and tensed.

A man cladded in black uniform began to approach Peter; Steve turned impulsively and blocked a gunshot heading for the teenager, then Peter disappeared in one fluid motion.

On instinct alone, he had jumped off the wall and landed silently behind his opponent utilising the element of surprise. He hit him with a bold fist when the man turned in shock before stumbling back from the force of the strike, but he didn't have any time to recover his standing- Peter was on him in an instant. He gave a spiral blow to the opponent's lower throat and aimed the gun as they gasped for air. The gunshot echoed around them.

Chest heaving, Peter's eyes risked a glance at Steve who had watched in stunned silence.

He was staring at Peter like he had never seen the boy before as memories haunted him; Bucky had used to fight like that, the same deadly precision and frighteningly blank stare. Yet he also had an unnerving air of Natasha, the same graceful movements and lethal agility. It made him regard Peter more warily than before- his fighting style was a mix of the two most dangerous people he knew.

"Who are you?" He asked, breathless.

Peter met his eyes and Steve fought back a flinch. "If I live, I'll tell you."

Steve wanted to question further, but Peter had already moved on. He leaned down and jerked the body at his feet upwards. There was a beat before his face paled even in the dim emergency lighting.

"Hydra's here." He said simply.

The body dropped to the floor when Peter straightened up. He swallowed thickly and Steve swore he saw a hint of fear flit of the teen's features before the elevator doors opened. 

A/N

And now the fight begins- dun, dUN, DUN!! Also Steve's reaction was highly hilarious to me because he is just so confused ya know? He's trying to piece things together but he has like one brain cell do it with. Oh well. :)

Anywho! Let me know of any spelling mistakes! xoxo.