Chapter I: Dinner

"You know, it kinda makes sense that you two are part Galra."

The group was sitting at the dining table, eating the classic green food goo together. Allura was being uncharacteristically quiet, and Keith and Kyra could tell she was avoiding them. Lance sat across from them, his head propped up in his hand with his elbow on the table, looking over at Keith and his younger twin.

Keith glared at him.

"Shut up," he grumbled, slouching back in his chair with his shoulders bunched up to his ears as he focused on the plate of food in front of him while Kyra just stayed quiet, leaning both elbows on the table with a fork in her hand, poking at her food. They were both still sore from fighting the Blade of Marmora folks. They were sore and tired, even though it occurred only a couple of days ago. Kolivan and Antok had gone back to the Blade of Marmora HQ to start forming a plan to defeat Zarkon, but Allura was still ignoring them and everyone but Shiro were still talking about the whole 'Keith and Kyra being part Galra' thing. Oh, and the 'I'm a wolfwalker' revelation Kyra had made before they left planet Arus.

"No, seriously!" Lance said, leaning back in his chair, tucking his arms behind his head. He was smirking slightly. "You both purr."

Pidge choked on her food goo and Hunk stifled a laugh.

Keith raised an eyebrow at Lance while Kyra sat bolt upright and glared at him.

"We what?" Keith asked sternly.

"You purr! Am I the only one who's noticed? Whenever they're all sleepy and stuff, they purr," Lance joked. He was suddenly leaning over the table, reaching his hand towards Keith's head, as if trying to stroke or pet him. Keith immediately swatted Lance's hand away making an agitated-looking face, meanwhile Kyra looked like she was going to bite Lance herself, which, had her human body been asleep and she was a wolf, would have turned Lance into a wolfwalker.

Kyra had discovered she turned in a wolf when she slept, a transformation that only wolfwalkers can accomplish, at a young age. She had a tough time at the home and the Garrison because instead of staying put in her room every night, she opted for sneaking outside of the Garrison grounds and the home at great risk of getting caught and put into an enclosure or something. One late night shortly after she and Keith got kicked out of the Garrison, her brother spotted a wolf walking away from the shack they were living in, it was walking away though so he thought nothing of it. The next morning Keith had woken up early and saw the same wolf coming back and decided to hide to see what it would do. Saying that he was surprised when the wolf pried the door open, went into his sister's room, jumped up in the air, turned into what looked like a gold ghost, land in his younger twin's body, and then seeing her shoot awake would be the understatement of the century. So much so that he confronted her after she came downstairs. She told him everything that she knew about her... condition. And Keith had taken it surprisingly well, even asking his sister to bite him so he could be a wolfwalker too. Kyra refused. He wasn't that surprised when she said no.

Anyway, back to the present day... or night... THEY'RE FLOATING IN A GIANT CASTLE IN THE MIDDLE OF SPACE, THERE'S NO DAY OR NIGHT THERE, LEAVE ME ALONE!!! >:C

"We don't purr," Keith all but snarled, standing up. Kyra was once again giving Lance the death stare, her teeth bared. Lance could've sworn he heard the growl of a wolf come out of her mouth and wisely kept his trap shut with his hands to himself. "I'm gonna go... train," Keith muttered hesitantly.

"No time!" Coran yelled, his Australian-sounding accent echoing through the room, interrupting the calm albeit slightly tense mood. He had his headset on and ran nearly directly into Keith. "Sorry Number Four!" Those nicknames he had for the paladins were... infuriating would be one way to say it. Even worse that they were based on everyone's height. While most Galrans were freakishly tall, Keith and Kyra were a bit... underdeveloped in the height department. To put Kyra, Keith and Pidge's opinions on those rankings simply; They were right ticked off (please excuse my british-ness). "We have a problem!"

Shiro was the first one to stand up. There went their dinner.

"What's going on?" He was quick to ask, just as the rest moved to stand.

"I've just received a distress signal from a planet nearby, apparently some rebels have been hiding out there that need our assistance right away- A Galra fleet has captured a few of the rebels as leverage for their surrender," Coran explained quickly, ushering everyone to go. Shiro nodded firmly.

"Get to your Lions!" Shiro ordered, and the group quickly scampered to get to work.

It was a good distraction for Keith and Kyra. Their bodies ached, and they were both still annoyed with Lance for that dumb comment about them purring. They did not purr. There was some biological thing with cats that made them purr, their vocal cords or something. Keith and Kyra were positive they didn't have any of that. Kyra had accepted the fact that she sometimes growled or barked long ago, she knew that was a definite side effect of her being a wolfwalker, but. She. Did. Not. Purr. Just because they were both part Galra didn't mean they were any different... right?

Wrong, very wrong -_-