Chapter II: Recon

Once they were in their armour and in the cockpits of Red and Crimson, they were gladly following the Black Lion to the nearby planet. Keith scanned the nearby terrain as Pidge piped up over the comms.

"We need to be really careful about this, Coran sent me the intel behind the captives. They're being threatened with death if the rebels don't surrender," Pidge warned.

"How many prisoners are there?" Shiro asked.

"Six of them. Apparently one of them is royalty from the planet," Pidge answered.

Shiro assessed the situation. "Coran, can you connect us to the Galrans holding the rebels captive? Maybe we can negotiate," He suggested. That sounded reasonable.

'Yeah right,' Kyra thought.

"No can do Shiro, they demand a surrender and refuse to make contact," Coran responded with a sigh.

'Knew it.'

"It may be wise to land the Lions, Coran and I will stay in the air, just in case," Allura decided. "Make sure to land far from the city, where the rebels that escaped are. This planet is quite large, so don't get lost."

"You got it Princess," Shiro confirmed, and the paladins followed him down to a small settlement where a large group of different types of aliens had gathered. Allura was right; The planet was huge, maybe even bigger than Earth. But unlike Earth, from up high, it looked like it was mostly inhabited by wildlife rather than intelligent life.

Not that animals aren't intelligent. They're arguably more intelligent than humans will ever be.

The six Lions landed on a grassy field just outside of the settlement, a group of rebels running out to meet them. Four of the paladins got out of their Lions, Keith and Kyra didn't (to absolutely no one's surprise).

"Keith, Kyra, survey the nearby cities," Shiro instructed. "Pidge, join them soon, but I need you to do something first."

"On it," Keith said lifting Red back into the air while Kyra followed close behind, a question on which way to go on the tip of her tongue, but she was interrupted.

"Oh, and stay above cloud cover so the Galra won't detect you," Allura informed them. "They're out to the east and they're very alert."

Kyra and Keith gave their confirmations, and then they lifted off into the air. The rest of the paladins stayed on the ground to talk to the rebels while Pidge quickly did something for Shiro.

The two siblings set off, knowing Pidge would follow soon. They managed to stay above cloud cover, Keith squinting down at the city they were approaching. It seemed relatively calm, but he knew the captives were being held somewhere. They looked around, circling the city before they spotted something through the clouds; Three Galra cruisers.

"Guys, we're looking at three Galra cruisers down in the city," Keith informed them.

"Does it look like we could infiltrate it by foot?" Shiro asked.

"I think so? It's kinda hard to tell from up here," Keith said with a frown.

"Uh, even if we do, we should have at least one Lion in the air, just in case," Hunk suggested nervously. Everyone agreed with him.

"We'll try to take a closer look," Kyra told them.

"Be careful!" Shiro warned.

Unfortunately, they weren't careful.

What could have been a straightforward mission – Go in on foot to rescue the captives, and then get rid of the Galra – went terribly wrong.