Chapter Nine: Only Yesterday

Derek was moving swiftly down the hall, Meredith following close behind him. 

"Derek!" she yelled as he was moving quicker than she could keep up with. 

"Meredith... not now!" he said entering his office and closing the door. 

She followed quickly behind him and caught the door right before it closed. 

Meredith closed it behind her and put her hands on her hips, looking at Derek. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" she said as he sat down in his chair, running his hand through his curls. 

He scoffed at her.

"What is wrong with me? You're kidding right?!" he said and rolled his eyes at her. 

"Yes, what the hell is wrong with you! I just got appointed as interim chief and you haven't even bothered to congratulate me!" she said, annoyance present in her tone.

"Now I don't know what set you off, but normal couples congratulate each other on their achievements. They certainly don't storm off angrily!" she continued. 

Derek stood up and wiped his hand over his face, pacing back and forth. 

"You got the job, not me. You want to know what set me off, well it's you! The only reason I came to work at Seattle Grace in the first place was to become chief of surgery. And now, you got the job and I didn't!" he said letting out a frustrated grunt. "God Meredith, don't you understand that!" he yelled. 

She dropped her hands from her hips and she looked at him with a disappointed look on her face. Her jaw clenched up and she nodded slowly, looking him in the eyes. 

Derek immediately regretted his words as he saw her lips form a frown. 

He opened his mouth to speak again, but she held up her hand. 

"You know what Derek. If you can't be happy for me getting the thing that I worked for the past three years, I'll make this situation simple for you" she said, her tone cold as ice. 

"I'll see myself out.. so you can think about your priorities" she said and left before he could even say anything in response.

He let out an angry grunt. 

"Goddamnit!" he yelled as he threw a mug across the room. He ran both of his hands through his hair and sat down on his chair again. 

This was not what he wanted, he wanted the job, but he also wanted Meredith. He had to make it up to her somehow. 

He looked at the clock; 6:30 PM and saw that he still had an hour before his next surgery. 

It was time for him to see Dr. Wyatt again...

***********************************************************************************************

"Charge to 250! Clear!" Meredith yelled as she put the paddles back on her patient's chest. The body jumped as the monitor remained in a still line. 

"Damnit, we lost him" she said as she put the paddles back. She sighed and glanced over at the clock.

"Time of death... 21:47" Meredith concluded. 

This was the second patient she had lost in the last four hours. This was supposed to be a happy day for her, a day to celebrate. But with Derek's big blow-out and patients dropping like flies around her, it was horrible. 

She sighed as she scrubbed out of the OR, stepping out into the hall and making her way to the attending's lounge.

She opened the door and was startled by the sight before her, she wasn't expecting anyone to be there.