Chapter Nineteen: Old Scars Pt.2

Meredith looked at the scans; displayed on the walls. She paged Derek ten minutes ago. After the tender moment with her sister, the loud shrieking of her pager had caused her to make her way to the CT room.

They had identified the victim that as Allison Walters, a 24-year old kindergarten teacher. The state of her body after the attack was awful. There were several broken ribs, a skull fracture that required a neuro consult and her heart needed a CABG procedure.

"Hey," she said softly, as the door flung open; revealing him. He smiled at her and took his place next to her. She smiled sadly at him, which didn't go unnoticed.

"Hey... what's wrong? he asked her with a look of concern. She sighed loudly and pointed to the images on the wall. He looked at the obvious multiple injuries.

"She's a rape victim...and I have to operate..." Meredith told him. As the words left her mouth, he looked over at her. Derek scanned her face for any telltales of what she was feeling. She seemed fine, but then again, Meredith was always "fine"...

He pulled her into a tight embrace. Meredith closed her eyes and melted into him, their bodies fit perfectly. "Are you okay?" he whispered into her ear. She scratched his back softly, and lovingly with her nails.

"I think so," she said carefully. He pulled back and cupped her face with his hands. The words caught him by surprise, a good kind of surprise. She smiled softly at him. He watched her gaze take a sad turn.

"They said she doesn't have any family... she just moved here for a promotion..." Meredith said with a sigh.

"I couldn't imagine that... having no one... I'd want my sisters here" he said. Meredith gave him a questioning look. "You have sisters?" she asked.

"Yeah" he chuckled. "Four to be exact... all very sistery. I'd want them here with me" he said with a hint of sadness in his voice. Meredith smiled kindly at the thought of her own sister; Lexie. She was beyond grateful to have her in her life, even if she annoyed the shit of her sometimes.

Derek looked at Meredith bewilderedly. He was so proud of her. Here she was; doing so much better than she was three weeks ago. The therapy seemed to really help her cope with what happened to her.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder; catching her by surprise. She stiffened a little before relaxing into his touch.

"I'm so proud of you Meredith Grey, you amaze me" he whispered, before planting a kiss on the top of her hair. She grinned and cuddled into the crook of his neck.

She could do this... with the support of her loving boyfriend by her side, it would go smoother than she could've anticipated.... right?

***********************************************************************************************

Wrong.

Derek had examined Allison and concluded that there was no neurological damage, the fracture would be fixed after Meredith's surgery; giving Allison's heart some time to rest.

So, she had to make it through the operation alone, which didn't seem like a terrifying idea, until it was too late.

As soon as Meredith entered the operating room; all ounce of confidence that inhabited her body was left at the door. She looked at Allison's beaten down, exhausted body lying unconscious on that table.