Chapter 8

I was dreading this

I was dreading this. I had to go back home. Not to stay there of course, but to go get my other song book. In my rush to get out of that house, I completely forgot it. I ran out of pages in my old song book, so I needed my other.

When I got to the house, luckily, neither Mark nor Jane was home. I grabbed the spare key that was under the mat and went inside. I headed to my room to look for it. I checked my trunk, my dresser, under my bed and in my closet, but I couldn't find it.

I then noticed a dried up stain on my dresser. It was in the shape of a circle. I groaned. "Of course."

I made my way to Jane and Mark's room and went to Jane's closet. Whenever she took my stuff without me knowing, she always put it in the same spot. In an empty box in the far corner of her closet. I picked up the box, but noticed it was heavier than normal. I sat on the floor and opened it.

The contents of the box broke my heart. "Oh my god." I breathed. It was my old stuff from when I still had my birth mother. Before I could take a good look at all the stuff, I heard a noise and someone talking.

I quickly and quietly made my way downstairs and to the kitchen to go out the back door. Before I left though, the conversation in the living room caught my attention.

"Are you sure we won't get caught?"

"Of course I'm sure. My husband won't be back for hours and that little tramp hasn't been here in days. We have the whole place to ourselves."

I shook my head and left. Of course Jane was cheating. I better make a mental note to tell Mark. He doesn't deserve this.

I walked back into the empty studio. I walked up to the, now empty, loft and sat down. I mentally prepared myself for the contents of this box. Slowy, with my racing heart, I opened the box.

My song book was on the top. I placed that to the side and continued on. Next was my old Ukulele. I smiled, remembering all the sing-alongs I did with my mom. I placed it down and continued.

I then grabbed my old teddy bear. I remembered my mom got it for me when I was 5. I always had it with me, even after mom gave me away, to have something that reminded me of her.Jane took it from me when I turned 13, saying that no teanager needed toys. I tried to tell her that this wasn't just some toy, but she didn't listen. She said she threw it away, but here it was. I placed my bear next to my Ukulele.

The last thing in the box were a bunch of old photos of me and my mom. Happy, simple times. Mom and I used to do the most amazing and fun things. Go to fairs, the beach, concerts, everything. She started to act differently when I was 9, then a while after I turned 10, she gave me up. I was in that orphanage for about 2 years until I turned 12. That's when Jane and Mark adopted me. Mark was always good to me, but Jane was always distant, rude and mean to me. As I got older, I came to many realities with the two, and Mark drifted from me as well. He spent most of his time at work or fighting with Jane.