14

I took out my ink, tools and songbook and neatly laid them out on the table. I then sat up straight and closed my eyes and thought of things to write about. I had probably been doing this for two or so minutes when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes to headmaster Dumbledore.

"Miss Deadreigh would you mind accompanying me to my office for a spot of tea?"

I nodded my head and packed up my things. We walked through the corridors in silence. I was shaking. Was I already getting expelled? Maybe they were going to give me in trouble because of the tournament. "Sir, am I in trouble, I've already told you I did not enter my name, I think the tournament is bad, people die, I don't want to die." I blabbered. "Let's discuss this in my office, look we're here. Lemon drops"

He guided me up the stairs and into his office. It was a nice office, it definitely screamed Dumbledore. He walked around his desk and sat in his chair, I sat in the one opposite.

"What kind of tea can I offer you?" He asked with kind eyes. His expression screamed sympathy. I was definitely getting expelled. "Peppermint would be excellent right about now, thank you Professor" I smiled, it's not his fault that this happened. He contoured the tea and handed it to me with that same sympathetic look. I'm fucked. I took a sip of my tea before speaking.

"Excuse me professor but what is this about. Sorry that was really blunt I didn't mean to be rude I'm just really nervous" I laughed a nervous laugh. He sighed putting down his teacup and saucer on his desk. He grabbed my hands and spoke. "Evalynee, I'm afraid that I got an owl from Durmstrang institute this morning before breakfast. They had gotten a letter explaining that your muggle friend and neighbour Jonah Parks was found dead this morning."

I gasped. Jonah was my only friend before I came to hogwarts, we had grown up together, known each other since we were 3 and when my mother died he was gutted to hear that I would be moving. He was such a happy boy. I saw him in the summer, I stayed with him.

"How... how did this happen professor, what happened to him?" I was shaking, he was like my brother, when Lewis left me his family took me in until I went to Durmstrang, and I went there for the holidays. "I'm afraid he was found... in the bathtub... with... with slit wrists and a note." I sobbed. How could he do this to himself. Hope could he leave me. "What did the note say?"

"I'm not su-"

"WHAT DID IT SAY" I yelled. He was hiding something. "It... it said 'Eva, I miss you terribly, you're always gone, I never see you, I can't mail you because of our difference and I'm not stable without you, I'm alone. I had to escape and I'm sorry' now this doesn't mean that it's your fault. He also wrote to his family in the note, but that's all they included, they said they know it's not your fault. The funeral is next month, November 3rd. You are excused from classes for as long as you need, especially as you have the tournament" he was so kind, yet all I wanted to do was slap him.

"A day."

"Pardon."

"A day. All I need is a day, I understand there will be a piano available to me in the great hall after classes, could I get it now?"

He nodded. "Of course. And if you need to talk to anyone your head of house will be more than willing to listen." I snorted. Snape, I don't think so. "I will be fine professor, I just need today to write and process. May I leave now" he simply nodded once more. "Thank you for the tea" I said as I left.

I numbly walked to the great hall, where a piano was already waiting for me. I sat down at the bench, and pulled out my writing equipment. I closed my eyes for a second and the context of the note played in my mind. With that I snapped my eyes open and began to write. After scribbling profusely for about half an hour I had gotten the lyrics. I placed my hand on the piano and started to play what're ever my brain thought of. By the time lunch was bout to start I had finished the song.