Chapter 13

Christmas break flew by in a blink of an eye as most of the time, Draco and I spent it either talking about our feelings, perfecting the vanishing cabinet, or just simply 'snogging' each other.

Days turned into weeks; weeks turned into months and we were inseparable. No one knew of our secret rendezvous, well maybe, Hermione, though she never mentioned it to anyone. And if she does know, I guess we all predicted that she would be the first. Afterall, she is the genius of our group.

Soon enough, it was April and spring was blooming. For far too long without the warmth, I am captivated by the beauty of the sunlight. Yet again, the daffodils pop out of the green grass and the birds begin to fly across the sky, singing a sweet melody. As the sun now rises earlier, the vibrant color I use to witness every morning isn't there, but rather a messy series of white, puffy forms in the center of the blue.

We're lying on a white, lace blanket, quite small compared to the immense lawn that overlooks the Black Lake. His white hair illuminates from the brilliant, bright rays, and his eyes--his eyes were the most beautiful shade of silver, pools of unexplored crevasse.

My head rests on his chest, feeling it rise and fall with each breath, listening to him hum, harmonizing to the mellow tune of the birds.

Perfection.

That's one word I could describe this exact moment. Slowly but, surely I began to realize, understand that he has become my world, my everything, and nothing can take that away from me.

I think I-I love h-

"You know, the melody reminds me of a French song I knew as a kid", he says stroking my hair softly, using a piece of it to tickle my cheek, as I scrunch my nose to avoid giggling. "As a child, I was always ungrateful, never having to experience the misfortune of losing someone you love to misery. I couldn't fathom it back then but, it turns out that I indeed did lose someone." He hesitates as I face him, placing my chin on his chest. "My mother was always the kind-hearted woman who made sure to put on a smile every morning. Little did I know that the flame inside her was dying; she was tired of fighting with her demons, who trapped inside her own void. Every once in a while, she'd play the song on the piano, releasing her pain, anger, despair, and sorrow, just to put that smile back on for the next morning. After listening to it many times, I guess I memorized the tune, and played it whenever no one was in the manor, when it was completely empty. I wanted to understand why she played it, for it didn't take long for me to realize that I--I felt happier within every note. It allowed me to connect with the feelings that lied deep inside and drew them out, even if I couldn't put them into words. One night, I waited for her to play the piano, waiting to fall asleep to the angelic sound. But, there was none, only the mellifluous, faint sobbing. I got up to see who it was and found my innocent and pure mother, crying over the piano. The look in her eyes told me that she was drained from the constant battles with the monster who lived right under our roof. Ever since then, silence flowed through the hallways of the manor, no music that gave me the illusion of hope."

I glance into his eyes to only see a single tear trickle down his face. He was hurting terribly, and I ache to kiss him, absorbing all of his agony, healing his scars, even when I had my own to take care of.

"So, I took her place, playing the piano, like she once did. She'd stand next to the entryway, watching the performance, quietly thanking me. Yet, after a while, my father forced me to shut it down, and said he hated it, without giving me a reason why. I realize, now, that I have essentially given up the piano for a couple years. I miss it. I miss the way my finger touched the ivory keys, the way the music swept me to a utopian world."