Chapter 21

I'm quite muddled; what does he mean? How did I find myself in this situation?

"Angitia, did you hear me?", my father jeers, snapping me out of my daydream. "You'll be staying with the Malfoys' for the year."

"What?! Why?"

"I've told you already, I have business to attend to and it does not concern you. The task has failed and now I have to fix everyone's mess. So, I've asked the Malfoys' to take you in. Your task is to keep watch; it seems that they've been recently having doubts and are discontent in me coming back. Make sure they are no obstacle to me." I didn't argue, as there was no mistaking the contempt and distaste in his voice. "You know how much I dislike betrayals. Understand?"

"Yes, father."

---

The majestic estate surged out of the darkness at the edge of the flat road, the lamps reflecting in the diamond-paned windows upstairs. There was a fountain in the gloomy garden behind the wall, flowers dying due to the chilly September night. I walk up to the door as it thrusts open even though no one was there to open it.

I can see why they'd have to live in a manor like that... Immense and hollow, courtesy to the large windows, engulfed by their own misery.

I have my luggages with me, none of which I'm carrying, all floating in the air as I don't have the strength and effort to hold twenty bags.

"Aah, welcome, my highness, to my humble abode", Lucius says with his arms wide open, waving for me to come in. To Malfoy's left, his wife is gracefully standing there, with her shoulders back-- great posture-- as if she was posing for a family portrait. She is so pale that she seems to shine in the dim-light; the blonde hair flowing down her back gave her the look of an exquisite swan.

Lucius stares at me with a stern expression, as though he had to say something. Instead, he retained it back, rotating to yell into a rather chillingly silent space.

"Draco!"

Narcissa gazes at me, not judgingly but, more fascinated, maybe by my appearance or maybe the fact that I feel a little nauseated by coming back to live in the same place that I ran away from.

I hear a door unlock and slam shut, listening to a series of footsteps walking through a corridor, just until I see him take place on the edge of the grand stairs.

He's quite good looking, and he's got a wicked grin on his face while he queries, wonders. My hands get clammy just by looking at him as the white-blonde cascades down, each step with such composure and eloquence. "Yes, father, you've called me."

"Meet our new guest, she'll be staying with us for the year", Lucius continues, and Draco's eyes lock onto me, checking me out, from head to toes. My heart pumps swiftly, forgetting how to breathe and how to maintain my sophistication. I face him with the best of my ability, ignoring my rapid pulse and pretending that he has no effect on me. "Hello, Draco."

"Well, son, show the girl to her room and help her with her bags," his father interrupts.

He nods, and grabs the only bag I was holding; luggages following behind as he led me upstairs.

"Your bedroom, madam--"

I rushed inside and fell backwards on the broad king-size bed feeling like I was collapsing in a pile of snow—pure white, fluffy, and feathery— centered in the room. To the right of where I laid, was a sizable glass door, that leads to a balcony, covered with a green emerald curtain draped over the panes, hiding the glory of nature.

I stretched out to the curtain and yanked it apart in one potent stroke. The moonlight poured in, soaking the room in it's silvery glow, exposing the dark colors that had introduced me to the forest through its glass.