Chapter 5

I was sat on the edge of my bed with my feet against the cold stone floor of the dormitries. Everybody else was in a deep slight, the occasional cnore coming from one of the guys. I'd slept for a few hours but images and memories of broken whisky bottles hitting the wall and smashing came to wind and the words "this is for your own good" echoed around my head. I let a shaky breath out before slipping on the black combat boots we'd been supplied with after dinner and quietly zipped up the oversized jacket. There was a clock built into the wall with the number 03:47 illuminated. The normal wake up time was at 7 so i had a while and couldn't stand being in here any longer.

As quietly as i good i headed for the exit and pushed open the door to step into the empty, dimly lit corridor. I still don't know my way around because after dinner my mind was to busy proccessing the infomation about Eric so i set off walking right. Charlie and Reece had told me everything which explianed the worried looks off the members yesterday in the cafateria. I thought he was okay and slightly intimidating but now i was terrified of him. They said he was ruthless and murded anybody who messed with him, that he was very reserved and there was nobody that was close to him. Normally i'd feel sorry for him and the fact he was alone but they told me about this one girl who was in his initiate class. Apparently the whole group was celebrating that they'd passed the final test by taking some packs of beer and heading to the top of the Hancock Building and he was in a bad mood because Tobias had ranked first so he started looking for a fight with a girl who'd transferd from candor. When she told him to calm down he pushed her out the train car and under onto the tracks. Since then everyone had hated him but Max still wanted him to join leadership because Tobias had refused and Max had suspicions that she was divergent anyway. Turns out if they know you're divergent here then they kill you. Simple. But not many peopel knew that apparently, Charlie only knew cause his brother was higher up in the guard. This only made me even more scared. Did he know i was divergent? I've tried my best to hide it like the woman at my aptitude test had told me to. I didn't want to believe what people siad about him, when we had that little staring contest before he didn't look like he was capable of doing something so evil.

Eventually i came to the sound of rushing water ahead of me. There was only one place i could be and that's the chasm. The sound of the waves hitting the rocks was relaxing, it drowned out my thoughts. I sat with back against the railing and my legs stretched out in front of me. If anyone was to come they'd see me since the tunnel was lit with another blue lantern. I wanted to find Tobias and talk to him, we still havent been able to talk properly and i'm guessing he's not going to until i've passed initiation...that's if i don't end up dead for my divergence.

Somebody coughed, interupting my nervous thoughts. Above me stood the devil himself staring down at me with those blue eyes but i couldn't see them clearly in the poor light. His face showed no emotion as he stood with his hand stuffed in his pockets. He never said anything, he just stared.

"Can i help you?" I asked confidently after a few moments of silence.Despite what i heard, i can't let him know he terrifies me and make my hairs stand on edge. I was suprised when he didn't reply but just kept standing there in a deathly silence. Fear crept into me but i fought the feeling to break eye contact. Eventually he sat down next to me, mirroring my position except his ankles were just over the edge prooving that he was a foot taller than me. Our arms were almost touching so i tried o discretely slide to the left a little bit more.

He let out a frustrated breath, "What are you doing here initiate?"

"Avoiding my dreams, you?" I aksed hoping to find out why he was here.

"What dreams?" he turned his head to the side to face me with a look that warned me to tell the truth.

"Why are you here?" I shot back. I can't let him know about my past, he could use it as a weakness against me if he ever needed to.