Chapter 2

When i awoke small droplets of sweat were embeded on my forhead and my breathing was quick and panicked. I'd had the dream of my mother that i get almost every week about me and my brother slowly killing her then me killing him and finally my father killing me saying its my fault everyone leaves.

Shaking, i got dressed and pulled my red hair into a tight neat bun since it was one of only hairstyles accepted in abnegation. Taking one last glance around my room i left towards the door to meet my father without looking back once.

*skipping to the ceremony*

"Dauntless!" Jeanine Mathews called as the blood dripped from my hand and sizzled on the coal. The room erupts with cheers from my new faction while a wave of gasps and muttering starts behind me.

I stroll over to the seats where a man dressed in balck was stood gesturing me to sit down. I pull the pin from my hair and shake it free letting it loosley cascade down my back. I take the seat, getting some high fives and the occasional person patting me on my back while congratulating me.

"Hi, im Sienna," a girl with a blonde ponytail says next me who was clearly a transfer from candor.

"Hi, i'm kierra," I smiled.

"I'm ben," I turned to see a guy very similar to Sienna sat with his arms crossed smiling.

"This is my twin, ignore him hes an idiot,"she says as they playfully glare at eachother.

I shake my head at their childish behaviour and watch as the next person chooses amity, her original faction.

The ceremony continues for another 2 hours before it finally comes to a close. As soon as it does, most of dauntless are on their feet and jogging towards the great doors.

"Come on lets go," Ben yells over the noise pulling both of us up. My legs were stiff at first but once we'd filed in a large group out of the doors we began to run down the steps, some people cheering others laughing.

I stook next to Sienna as we ran through the streets of the city that had always looked so enclosing. All of a sudden it felt open and free. My legs were burning but we kept close to the front with one of the dauntless borns. Eventually we slowed down at the pillars that held the tracks up.

My heart was thumping and my feet ached but it was a nice feeling.

"You have to climb," i looked to see the leader of the group staring at us before he began to ascend to the top of the metal structure.

Nervously i followed, my hands gripping the same places he did which wasn't hard as it was almost like a ladder. Once at the top i pushed myself up and stepped onto the tracks where the dauntless boy was laughing with his friend.

He turned to me "well done, i'm Charlie by the way. This is Reece."

Charlie must have been 6 foot at least, with a brown quiff, hazel eyes and was well built. Reece was almost the same but an inch or two shorter with dirty blonde hair.

I turned to look for Sienna who was jogging towards me smiling.

"Hi. I'm Kierra and this is Sienna," i intoduced the boys to my new friend before Ben came over "There you are."

"This is my twin Ben, Ben this is Reece and Charlie," Sienna said as she kept glancing over at Reece.

"Hi. You might want to get to the side," they said as the metal beneath us began to tremble. We did as they said and followed their gaze to see a train heading towards us, it was slowing down but as it rushed past it showed no sign of stopping completly.

It took me a little shove off a grinning Sienna to notice the boys had began to run after it. We copied until they began to jump on. My muscles pumped faster as i reached for the handle and threw myself to the side, gripping it just in time before swinging myself inside.

Once Ben had helped Sienna in we all took a deep breath. I noticed a small hand gripping the door for a few moment before launching forward and helping them in.

A girl fell to the floor dressed in all blue breathing heavily.

"Thank you," she managed to breath before climbing back to her feet, " i didn't think i'd make it."

"Its no problem," I smiled before she turned to talk to an Amity boy. There's rarley any amity transfers from what i've heard, especially to dauntless.

I sat down next to Charlie who had his feet dangeling from the car door.

"Woah brave one here. You dont get many newbies coming near the edge let alone half out of it. You really are cut out for this place,"

"Really?" i grinned.

"We'll see. How do you feel about jumping?" he asked laughing which was contagious as i joined in straight away. Mainly at how bizare his question was.

"What do you mean?"

He never replied as he got back to his feet holding a hand out to help me which i accepted. He looked down at me once more before pulling me to the back of the car.

"Are you ready?"

Before i could reply he was pulling me causing my feet to move quicker towards the open door. What?!

In seconds i was airborn, still holding Charlie's hand over the two metre gap between the tracks and roof building and in that moment i felt a rush of adrenaline flood my veins.

As my feet touched the ground i let go of his grip and rolled once. My hands and knees stung but i couldn't help but laugh. That was so fun.

"You okay there?" Charlie was grinning down at me. Looks like this show off could land on his feet but then again he had practiced every day to and from school.

"Fine thanks," I staggered back on to my feet and brushed myself down.

"Kierra!" Sienna yelled running towards me, "thats was amazing!"

Ben and Reece soon followed messing around and laughing at some joke. All 5 of us turned our heads to look at the train and i saw the amity boy jump but not that erudite girl i'd helped. She stood helplessly in the doorway as the train turned the corner. I guess that meant she was factionless now if she couldn't make the leap.

Someone whistled and everyone began jogging in one direction. We joined the rest of the initates gatherd around the ledge where a tall man with darker skin marches up and down as if the deadly drop inches away from him didn't exist.

"Alright, listen up! I'm Max, i'm one of the 5 dauntless leaders. You've made it this far but this is where the real test begins. Below me is the members entrance to dauntless. If you're really one of us," he stopped walking and began to scan the crowd,"you'll jump. Who's first?"

"Seriously? You want us to jump again?" an erudite boy asked. I was beggining to seriously dislike them.

"Yes. Got a problem? If youre scared you might as well leave now," Max hopped off the ledge causing silence to wash over everyone.

"We don't have all day so who's first?" a guy said who was leant against the edge with his muscular arms folded across his chest. His blonde hair was shaved at the sides but slightly folded over at the top and he had tattoos visible on his neck. Similar maze patterns ran along his arms with the ocasional dauntless symble, a circle with flames, joint in. He had two piercings above his right eyes which were focused right on me. His blue orbs staring into mine, a challenging smirk on his lips.

If he wanted a contest then he'd get one. Before i knew it, the adrenalin from the last jump still in my system made me do something without thinking which clearly added to his amusment.

"Me."