Chapter 4

We followed Four and Six through a number of tunnels lit with blue lights. They were explaining where we were and were not aloud to go but by the 18th turn i've forgotten how we'd got here.

"This is the Pit. The centre of life here at Dauntless," it suited its name. The walls rose up to the glass ceiling where shops lined the floors above. Everything was built up around the pit floor where groups of dauntless were gatherd, some fighing playfully others just talking and laughing.

We continued to walk round some corners and up some steps before we came to a deep drop that split the compund into two. Waves splashed up against the rocks under a metal bridge with a railing on one side.

"This is the chasm. It shows us the line between bravery and idiocy. One jump or slip will mean the end for you. Its happened before and it will definitly happen again. You've been warned," Four said coldly his eyes fixed on Shawn who was cowering back into the shadows.

"Now we'll take you to the cafeteria. After that you can have the night off to explore trusting you wont get lost," Six announced before gesturing us to walk down another tunnel.

Not long after we came to two large wooden doors. Our trainers pushed them open to reveal rows of tables where dauntless were sat chattering loudly.

I broke off from the group to Sienna and Ben as we began to search for some seats. I spotted Reece and Cahrlie when they whistled and called us over. They were sat with a few other dauntless borns with four spare seats between them and Six and Four.

Sienna took a seat next to Reece who smiled warmly at her while Ben sat between her and Six. I placed myself next to Cahrlie only to see Toby glare from two seats across.

"I'll be one minute," i whisperd to Charlie before sliding over to my brother when he nodded kindly in response but didn't question me even though i cod tell he wanted to.

"What do you want?" he mutterd so only i could hear him.

"I want to make sure my brother's okay considering last thing i knew he was an Erudite but now he's Dauntless," i felt angry slightly but didnt know why. For him leaving? For him pretending he didn't know me?

He sighed, " Can we talk about this later? In private?"

I didn't have chance to reply before the room was filled with the banging of fists and cups on the tables.

Overhead was a ledge built into the stone. Max was leant against a metal railing with 4 other people stood behind him, one who happened to be blue eyes.

"Alright quiet down! Initiates, welcome to dauntless. As you know we believe in shouting for those who can only whishper, in defending those who cannot defend themselves and ordinary acts of bravery in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another. At dauntless we expect you to live by our manifesto. We wish you good luck over your initation and remeber at all times, be brave!" he stepped off the ledge followed by the others as the room erupted with chants and yells.

Several minutes later the cafateria calmed down as we finally got to eat. I stated around the table, my eyes landing on a burger.

"Try it with ketchup, it will taste better,' Toby said chucking a bottle of red sauce, "Then eat the cake."

"What? You never had a hamburger before?" Ben said in disbelief.

"They're fround upon in abnegation. Too selfish right?" Sienna stated.

"Don't talk about your old factions, you're dauntless now," Four said looking past me over my shoulder when the room quietend slighty.

I didn't look because i felt a prescence not far behind me. Four's jaw tensed slightly as someone sat next to me in my old seat causing Six to grab his hand with confusion and shock on her face. I saw Reece, Sienna and Ben mirroring her expression but i could only guess Charlie was too since the figure was blocking my view.

My eyes flickerd to see blue eyes next to me, his arms folded as he leant on them on the table. His head was cocked to the left slightly as he stared at me, that stupid smirk tugging on his lips when he noticed me shift uncomfortably. His gaze left mine to smile sickingly at Four.

"Not going to introduce me?"

"Eric this is Kierra, Ben and Sienna, initates this is Eric, " he gestured with his free hand while the other clenched under Six's grip. So blue eyes is calles Eric. Why doesn't he have a number as a name? And what was with Four?

"Hmm," Eric replied smirking at me again. Its like he hadn't even noticed the others sat there, "Well Six, since you're boyfriend wont accept Max's offer, he still wants you. What do you say?"

"No and its been no for three years and it always will be," she stated withdrawing her hand to get her drink.

"Shame. You'd have been good. Looks like i have to ask Peter instead and i'm sure he'll jump at it,"

"Just like you did you mean?" Four spat turning his attention to us. His eyes glanced at Eric's shoulder which was now pressed against mine while his finger began tracing lines up my arm. I felt frozen to the spot.

"Yeah and i think he'll be alright at it. Remember who you're talking to Four," Eric growled.

"Remeber who came first," he shot back. The tension was rising and i was glad when Six dragged Four away much to his silent protests. He shot me another we'll talk later look over his shoulder. I didn't know what to do when it suddenly became really awkward.

"Have a good evening initiates," Eric said with no emotion before standing his hand brushing up to my shoulder as he left. I watched him walk towards the doors where he turned, smirked and winked at me causing me to swivel around in and attempt to hide the unwanted blush attacking my cheeks.

What was that all about? And why is everyone staring at me like i ' ve grown three heads?

"Kierra...you do know who Eric is right?" Charlie said as i slipped over to him and listened as he took a deep breath ready to explain.