Chapter 3.

We've been at the jewellery store for thirty minutes and we haven't settled on a ring. The rings were either too much or too simple, we were hoping to find something in between. "Have you found anything?" He questioned upon returning from the bathroom. I shook my head. "How about this one?" He suggested, gesturing to a pear-cut diamond ring. It's too simple and the diamond looked like it could fall off the band at any given minute.

"It's pretty," I replied with a smile. The sour look he wore was starting to ruin my mood. "But I don't like it," I added before looking away with a sigh. If miserable was a person....it would be him. I looked at him when he walked to the end of the display case. He scanned it for a moment or two before he met my gaze and beckoned me over. I walked over and looked at the ring he was pointing at. It's a 3-carat, rose gold, marquise halo diamond ring surrounded by tiny diamonds. "That's...beautiful."  I said and smiled up at him. He studied my face before signalling the clerk. My stomach tightened when the clerk gave Aston the ring but once it was on my finger I knew it was the one. Breathtaking. I lowered my eyes as tears began to cloud my vision. It reminds me of my grandmother's and it fits me like hers did. Loose.

"You want this one?" He asked. I blinked away tears and nodded.

"Yes," I answered weakly. He slid the ring up and down my finger before taking it off.

"It needs to be resized." He muttered. "We'll take it." He said to the clerk.

Our next stop was Charlotte's Weddings. I stepped onto the stool wearing the cheapest dress I could find. I saw a dress I liked but I didn't want to push my luck with Aston's sour mood. "What do you think?" I asked. Aston was lounging on a loveseat by the window with his head back and his eyes closed. He slowly sat up and looked at me. He shrugged.

"Choose whatever you like." He said dryly. That's not what I asked. I frowned and got off the stool. I fiddled with my fingers as I walked toward him. He met my gaze and rewarded me with a stern one. Can't this man crack a smile?

"I don't want to choose something expensive and make you angry," I told him in a hushed voice.

"Like I said; choose whatever you like." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"I heard you the first time." I pointed out. "But I want your opinion on this dress before I look for something else?" He rolled his eyes and leaned over his knees with his lips pressed together. His eyes roamed every inch of my body for a moment.

"The dress is ugly and it makes you look boxy." He said a while later. I smiled. Now we're getting somewhere.

"Thanks for your honesty," I said and turned to Gina. "I'd like to try the one I was looking at please."

Gina grinned. "I was hoping you'd try it on." She said as she jogged off. I shuffled back to the changing room and took off the dress. A second later, Gina knocked and walked inside with the dress in her arms. She helped me into the dress and pinned the sleeves. The dress was a bit snug around my bum and chest but it wasn't unbearable.

"Phew." I breathed. Once the dress was buttoned,  she draped the veil over my shoulders and took a step back.

"You look beautiful." She said.

"Really?" I asked. She nodded.

"Thank you," I said with a smile. I turned to the mirror and gasped. Wow.  It's an ivory in colour, mermaid dress that hugged every curve of my body. It even made me look like I have boobs! That's the most cleavage I've ever had. I fiddled with its jewelled off the shoulder sleeves. The train was an elegant mess of lace. The veil is sheer and fell past my bum. I grinned at Gina. "This is my dress."

"Let's hear what your fiancé thinks." She said and picked up my train. I ignored that and walked out of the changing room. He doesn't care what I wear. I could wear a paper bag for all he cares. "Where did he go?" Gina asked. I looked to my right and saw him looking at a dress on a mannequin.