Chapter 8.

I had rearranged the flowers a dozen times before they were positioned to my liking. I took them to the kitchen and placed them on the dining table before I stepped back to admire my work. They're Lilacs, Scilla and white Peonies. Because of the size of the bouquet I had to split it into four smaller bouquets and scatter them around the penthouse. I don't know what it is about flowers and plants that's makes a home feel like a home. A wave of sadness washed over me when I thought of the empty house waiting for me in Portland. I could sell it and buy a studio. Or I can keep it and fill it with a bunch of pets.

Aston walked in dressed in a crimson suit as I was pouring myself a glass of water. I placed my glass down and got the Tupperware containers I had prepared for him out the microwave before he opened the fridge. "Breakfast and lunch." I said when I gave them to him.

He glanced at me before taking them. "Thanks." He said dryly. He flinched when I reached for his tie. I straightened it then dropped my hands to my side.

"Make sure you eat your breakfast if not...I will cry." I threatened with a smile. "I hope you have a good day at work." I said. His jaw clenched. Say something rude and I'll slap that scowl off your face. I turned on my heel and began doing the dishes. Something brushed my back when he walked by making me shiver. A dirty thought of him grabbing me from behind and burying his face in my nape crossed my mind. I glanced at him, he was pouring coffee into a flask. My heart skipped a beat when he looked my way.

"Kaden is bringing the dogs around 5:30." Aston said.

"Where are they?"

"With my parents." He said.

"Do your parents....know?" I asked.

"At the moment, no. That's a conversation best done in person." He replied. I rubbed my arm nervously.

"When will that be?" I asked.

"Saturday at noon."

My eyes widened. "So soon?" I asked softly.

"It's better to get it done and over with." He pointed out and checked his watch. "I should get going. I'll be home around 5." I gave him a small nod. A part of me wanted him to pull me into him and tell me it's going to be ok and the other wanted to leave and never come back. I hugged myself.

"I'll follow you to the elevator." I said. He gave me a quick glance before walking toward the living room. I walked a foot behind him with a racing mind. I have 3 days before I meet his parents—I need to prepare. What am I going to wear? What if they see through our lie like Kaden did and report me? Would they risk Aston going down with me? A gentle squeeze on my shoulder pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked into his emotionless eyes. His hand felt almost hot against my bare shoulder.

"You'll be fine." He said softly. I gave him a small smile and a weak thank you before he dropped his hand and walked into the elevator. The door closed as he was about to meet my gaze. I cupped the shoulder he touched with a smile. I needed that. I turned away from the elevator and made my way upstairs. I had just finished texted Gino when I saw Aston's credit card on the bedside table. I picked it up and stared at it. "I might as well go shopping." I thought aloud.

After taking the clothes to the Salvation Army, I decided to treat myself with a spa day. "I'll pick you up at three." Gino said once I was out of the car.

"Ok thank you." I said absentmindedly. I was walking up the steps when Gino called after me. I looked over my shoulder and saw him jogging after me with my purse. My jaw dropped. Gino, you freaking life saver. I would have died of embarrassment if I had gone in without money. "Thank you so much." I said when I met him half way.