RANT

RANT: (no format !)

(warning ! as i continue to write i get
a lot more angry and just overall i was
v annoyed and shaking when i wrote this)

I WANT to make this specifically clear to everybody. nico di angelo is NOT straight. he is canonically GAY. do we know what that means ?? HE LIKES THE HE/HIMS. THE PEOPLE WHO IDENTIFY AS DUDES. IN SHORT. NICO DI ANGELO IS NOT STRAIGHT. nico is gay. please for the love of FUCKING GOD don't take that away from him.

nico do angelo is a hurt and semi-flawed character. he suffered a lot through childhood, not even being there but having to be TOLD when his sister died. he felt like an outcast— probably at a young age wondering why the fuck he was attracted to percy. wondering WHY he was jealous of annabeth or just wondering WHY his eyes lingered on percy for just a little longer then they should. nico di angelo is character MANY of the fandom relate to. nico do angelo is a character who is GAY. he is NOT and will NEVER be straight.

he went through suffering— be outed by CUPID when coming out is your thing to do. you should get to decide when you come out as whatever sexuality or gender identity. you should be able to confuse in your friends and not have some FUCKING DUMB GOD expose you for it. nico do angelo never felt like he fit in and that resonated HEAVILY with closeted LGBT members of the fandom.

so don't even THINK for a moment to try and 'make' him straight. he's not. accidental or not, you can't write him to have a romantic and female oc interest. totally okay if it's platonic because nico doesn't see women that way. he's not straight so stop trying to take one of the well written queer characters from children's books and twist it into an emo straight guy.

nico is loved by the fandom because we RELATE to him and his journey. we know how hard it is to try act like you're something your not— trying to bounce between lives and just trying to just accept to himself that he is gay. people go through different journeys and i'm not speaking for anybody else here but myself. i'm closeted to EVERYBODY irl. my family etc. the constant fear and just tthe fear of judgement nico went through is exactly what IM going through. as i write this, i'm shaking in fear of backlash abd just harsh words.

it doesn't matter if you are part of the LGBT community and write nico straight or you're an ally or straight— you do NOT get to take one of the ONLY queer characters from HOO and take it away. you have no right— and if you think you do then you're part of the problem.

i don't know if people get it but taking away a queer character and 'making' them straight is harmful. i'm not sure if others would consider it homophobic but i do. you're taking away something that's part of them all because they're dating a dude. it doesn't MATTER that you don't like solangelo or something like that because nico is canonically gay.

it's disrespectful to the community and it just allows for more homophobia to spread because people think it's okay to just 'make' characters not queer anymore and make them straight.

as a fandom— we should be DOING better. the fandom as i know of it is supportive and kind and we accept everybody (except like the usual super straights, transphobes, homophobes, racists etc) and i'm genuinely disappointed that people think it's okay to do this to nico. do better— because i don't know whether i should be shaking with fear or anger right now.

i don't speak for the LGBT community but i think all together i'd just like to say that i'm pissed off and scared that people think it's okay to make somebody straight, forget their trauma and just note to ignore what makes them....them.

do better. KNOW better.

— ro