15: Riri

Naturally, my friends ought to know about this bizarre coincidence. Louisse answered the door when we arrived and instantly knew something big happened as we locked eye contact. Beth drove as fast as she could and brought bags of popcorn, like we were going to watch a movie. We gathered on Louisse's bed and each had a bag of popcorn on hand. Joe was honored to tell the story because I was still speechless. My friend's mouth gaped open after he finished acting out the story for a dramatic effect.

"You're endgame, Elle! You met even after three years, this must be fate telling you that you should be together! Eventually marry and have a little Superman and Supergirl of your own !" Beth's eyes were gleaming in wonder.

"You watch too many movies, B! I think this is a test, Elle! A test from divine beings to see how firm your belief is, that Hen can destroy your career if you're together." Joe threw popcorn in the air but Beth pushed Joe aside and caught the popcorn instead. There is a mumble from Joe while Beth was scolding him in a friendly way that he was too harsh on me.

"That's ok, Beth!" I finally regained my voice. "He's right. It sounds crazy but I believe that he could negatively impact my stature in the academe. Also, I don't think his fans would want me dating their idol."

" What did you feel when you saw him, Elle? What did you realize when he opened Jessie's door? Louisse was serious. Joe and Beth stopped bickering and waited for my answer.

" I never really had thought about what might come for Hen after we separated ways." I looked down. My friends gathered around me and gave me a hug.

It's the next day. I was all alone in Louisse's flat when my phone rang. I put it on speaker phone while I attempted to make pasta for fun. I had nowhere to go and it was time to practice my cooking skills. I've improved but it's nowhere better than what 28-year—old's are expected to do.

"Hey, Elle! It's Jessie! I got your number from Joe. How are you?" I continued cooking nonchalantly.

"I'm good." I honestly am. After my friends and I talked last night I realized that it was good for Hen to be with someone. I tried dating too but it never worked out. I'm glad he has someone. I'm ready to see him now, congratulate him for moving on even if I am still hopelessly in love with him.

"Brunch today!" She said excitedly. She must be showing off Hen. If I have to prove that I'd stick with my decision even after three years, I would. Game on, god!

I hurriedly cooked the pasta and because I was multitasking, I cut my finger. I shook my hand as a reflex. Louisse has a medicine box just underneath the sink. I grabbed the bandaid from the box and placed it messily on my bleeding finger. Then, I took a shower and realized I should have placed the bandaid after I showered. It's all wet now. I removed it from my finger, threw it outside the shower enclosure and continued showering. I dressed comfortably: a hoodie and leggings. I didn't bother dressing up when I'm meeting people I wanted to avoid but just have to face. We were meeting at a garden cafe on the top of a building. I arrived at the building and looked up. The sky was bright but the air was chilly. I hope Jessie reserved seats in a shaded area. I arrived on top of the building. It was shaded, thankfully. Only a few people were there. I could easily spot Jessie with her blonde hair and striking orange dress, facing against me. We said our hellos and started talking while waiting for our order. I spotted an empty seat next to Jessie. It must be for Hen. She asked me what happened that night and I easily explained that I was starstruck. She told me that Hen was acting weird with her after Joe and I left her porch. He looked pale and downcasted. He barely talked. I pretended to be shocked. He must have felt the same way I did when we saw each other at Jessie's doorstep. I was getting bored from Jessie's sudden conversation about cats when the elevator door opened and inside was Hen. Finally, he came. His eyes were calm when we locked eye contact. Jessie must have informed him about this meeting. I stared at him. I wanted to look at him for myself before telling Jessie that he's here and before acting like I've never seen him before. I want to cherish these few seconds of familiarity with him. My body recognized him. My body wanted him. The tension rising just by staring at each other is earth-shattering. As much I want to throw myself at him, I knew better not to. My heart is full just by looking at him. My heart didn't ache like it always did now that I'm going to be near him again.

"Jessie, your beau is coming!' I said placidly. She turned around, stood up and went towards him. She hugged him and they walked towards me. I remembered I was supposed to act fan-like. I stopped myself from smiling, stood up and acted excited.

"I can't believe it's Superman! Mr. Henry Cavill! A pleasure to meet you. I apologize for my behavior yesterday. I was starstruck." I reached out to shake his hand. He smiled at me and shook my hands. The sudden electricity electrified my whole nerves. His grip was hard. I wanted to moan out of pleasure just because our hands were enveloping. I missed his skin on mine. His eyes on mine. His passion for me. He can only do this to me. I wonder what would have happened if we started kissing, our tongues reuniting and heated bodies close to each other as if fighting but at the same time dancing. I feel my cheeks blushed. "Get it together, Elle! Keep it clean!" I scolded myself internally.

"You're getting red, Elle! You must be a superfan of my Riri!" Riri? Are you kidding me? Out of all the nicknames Jessie could have coined, he chose, "Riri?" It's so cringy that I choked while drinking a glass of water. Hen instinctively went towards me and tapped my back a couple of times. He wasn't supposed to do that. We should be acting like strangers.

"Are you, ok? This is the second time, Elle" He whispered in my ear. We're close. I'm having goosebumps. And his voice! Oh, his voice! There's something in the way he calls my name that makes me melt. I have to get him away from me or else Jessie might get suspicious. I shoved him politely.

"I'm ok. Mr. Cavill. Thank you for being a gentleman!" He went back to his seat still concerned.

"Don't be psychotic, Hen!" I warned him with my eyes.

"He is such a sweetheart, my Riri!" Jessie kissed him in front of me. A peck on the lips. Hen looked uncomfortable. I can sense it. He pulled his face away from Jessie right away. Jessie didn't notice. The food was getting cold now but no one seems interested about it. I lost my appetite while Jessie kept baby-talking Hen. She ran her fingers all around his face. Hen kept telling her to behave because a "fan" was in front of them but she just kept going. She completely forgot about me.

"Jessie, Hi!" I waved my hand. Her attention is now on me. Hen looked relieved.

"You said your relationship is a secret but why are we in an open location?" I leaned forward and whispered. Jessie looked at the few people in the garden restaurant.

"They work for Riri." Jessie pointed out that it was his manager, his assistant, his driver and agent.

"I don't understand? We could have gone to your house. Why bother doing this?" My face went white. I was too straightforward with her. "Do something, Elle!" I said to myself. "If you don't mind me asking, of course!" I exhaled deeply.

"Fair point, Elle! I wanted to be outside with my Riri-" She was pinching his cheeks then looked back at me. I rolled my eyes but she didn't seem to notice. "-and this guy made all of this possible! My soulmate!" She squealed and hugged him.

"What?" My voice heightened. Jessie was bewildered. Hen was looking away from me. "I mean..." I faked a laugh. "What! That's so cute!" I faked a wide smile but I really wanted to vomit. Jessie believed me. She didn't notice the slight anger in my voice. I was hungry to know every detail of their relationship when she decided that they were soulmates.