18: Inconvenient Times

"I apologize but I can't go to the party because of personal errands." I said in my most composed voice. Phil suddenly called me right after I sat down at the curbside of Jessie's house. I was distraught and heartbroken when my phone decided to ring.

Phil, the president of Harvard, had asked me to go to a charity ball tomorrow night. I made excuses that I couldn't go because mainly, i'm on vacation but he nonetheless pursued his agenda in making me go. He said I'll have to make connections now that I'm the new head of the schools department. I'll be the school's representative. There's no way, I can't be there even if I tell Phil that I just ruined an engagement surprise.

"Yes, I'll reschedule my personal errands." I said sadly. I called Louisse to pick me up. I waited at the curbside. A few people passed me by and looked judgemental. I was a mess internally and externally. My hair was in a messy bun, bags under my eye and my face looked lifeless when I checked my reflection onto my phone.

I told my bestfriend everything that went down in Jessie's house. I thought she'd be mad but she was actually smiling. She was relieved that I was able to express my suppressed emotions all along. She knew I could do it. Yet, she was sympathetic to my broken-heartedness and was bitter about Phil. She told me to skip the party and grieve. It is the healthy way instead of pretending all calm and collected just after a day my ex-boyfriend suddenly got engaged and whom I confessed my feelings to.

"Shit!" I woke up at 7 pm. I was back at Louisse's place. The party started at 8 pm and I had only an hour to get ready. I'm going to be late, I knew it. I put on my black, sequined, strapless, floor length gown quickly and put on my heels. Luckily, Louisse was able to shop for me yesterday because I was too devastated to do anything for myself but I forced myself today, for school.

Louisse was out of town for the weekend so she left me with her car. I quickly grabbed the keys by the door and carefully ran so as not to slip in my heels while carrying a bulging and opened bag full of things I've got to do while waiting in traffic.

It's Saturday today so everyone's probably busy going out. I'll have time to put on makeup and prepare myself to be happy for the night. I was able to make myself presentable with bold dark lipstick and winged eyes. I combed my hair and parted it halfways. I didn't have time to curl my hair but honestly, I didn't really care. My hair looks neat just by combing it so it's no worries.

I arrived at the party. I didn't bother bringing my bag and only brought my phone. I hurriedly went out of my car and threw my keys to the valet. I checked my phone. It's 9:00 pm. I went straight to the hotel and straight to where the party is located.

The program ended and socials were starting. People from different universities were talking and I froze. My eyes couldn't believe it.

"Hi, excuse me. Is this the only charity ball you're hosting tonight?"There was a waiter standing next to me. I was stunned by what my eyes were seeing. The waiter simply nodded.

There were celebrities mingling with some university people I knew. Oh my god. As much as I was excited to see Angelina Jolie, Gal Gadot, Tom Hanks and Tom Hiddleston to name a few, I was scared if Hen would turn up. He could be here, maybe. I quickly scanned the room and I didn't see his blue eyes at all. I sat at the nearest empty table and took deep breaths. I smoothed my hair out and checked my phone. I had missed calls from Phil. I went out of the room and onto the balcony. No one was there so I called him back.

"Phil, you called? Sorry, I got too busy mingling. What did you call for?" I lied.

"Save your excuses, Elle. Nolan from Yale asked me why Harvard's representative wasn't at the party."

"Phil, you didn't tell me celebrities would be here. " I didn't know what else to say.

"It's an annual charity ball donating to lesser known non profit organizations that's why a lot of prominent celebrities come too. I'll be giving you a list of names to talk to. These people are important in the university and you'll be introducing yourself. Also, tell them about our exciting plans. Some of the names are investors of the school so behave yourself and eat first before talking to them." Phil sniggered before he ended the call. He must have thought I'd faint if I talked to celebrities. Well, he's lucky! I'm in no celebratory mood.

When I finish the list, I'll be exiting the bad-timed occasion. Phil sent me a text of people I should talk to. There were only 4 people and the last name was Henry Cavill.

Hen wasn't here. I scanned the room before. I went to the room and searched for him again. It didn't take a minute. He was across from me talking to the president of Brown University.

I retreated to the balcony. I couldn't go into the room knowing he's there. I'm too fragile right now and I don't think he'll be glad to see me. It would also be awkward. I'll just have to make up a promising excuse for not making connections in this party.

I leaned on the handrail looking down at the hotel garden. I planned to wait out the party. An hour of waiting will do instead of being in the same room as Hen. Looking out the garden, my mind replayed the scene when Hen looked at me confused while I confessed. I'm hurt that he kicked me out of the house but what's more painful is regretting the fact I didn't do it sooner. Tears slowly ran on my face. I let it flow until I realized I was wearing eyeliner.

"Shit!" I looked at my reflection in my phone's camera. My black liner lined my face like the shadows of my teardrops. I couldn't wipe it because I had no tissue with me. Damn it. Thirty more minutes and i'll go back inside and run to the nearest powder room, which I don't have an idea where it is. I'm also shivering now. I've only noticed the chilly wind swirling after I came back to my senses and stopped thinking about Hen. I wrapped my arms around myself as though it would help me warm myself.

"Hey there, is it ok if I share the place with you? "A man's voice, it was Hen's voice, for sure. I didn't look back despite shivering badly. My mouth was moving on its own.

"I...ugh... I don't think you wan t-to b-be with me right now. I heard his footsteps coming towards me.

"Why do we keep seeing each other at the most inconvenient times, Elle?" He put his blazer around me. I clutched it tightly. I didn't turn to look at him.

"I kept asking myself too, Hen. Look, I'm sorry about what happened yesterday. I just had to do it. I realized too late and I'm regretting it. That's why I chose to be out in the cold rather than be in the same room with you because it will only hurt more when I see you tied with someone else."

"I only asked you to leave because Jessie might hit you." He snickered and continued, "She's taller and bigger than you, Elle. She was fuming mad, and her face got all red. I was able to calm her down temporarily."

As much as I want to be close with him even through his clothes, his fiancé wouldn't approve of this so I gave his blazer back despite my shivering shoulders

"I guess this is the end, Hen. Freaking cliché. We could have been..." I covered my eyes with my hands because tears started running off again.

"Shit. My eyeliner is smudging my face right now. I know this is bad timing but do you have a handkerchief? I have to look presentable for the people inside." He put his blazer back to me.