Chapter two: the first nightmare

Varian was in a dim ally running away from Nigel, the royal guard, Flynn, Rapunzel, and Cass. Varian kept looking back to see if he had lost them. Ruddiger was on his shoulder as Varian ran. He was trying to get out of the ally, but it just seemed to never end. Varian could hear the guards and rapunzel yelling at him to please come back, but the voice that scared him the most was Nigel's as he yelled.

"This is what happens to traitors! Remember that!" That only made Varian want to get away more.

Varian kept running until he came to a wall formed out of the black rocks. He turned around as those who were chasing him caught up, Rapunzel leading them.

"Varian please!" Rapunzel cried.

Varian had his back facing the wall as Repunzel continued.

"Varian please! We can help you!" Then Repunzel's face turned to one of dread. "Varian watch..!" Varian stopped listening as a sharp pain hit his back.

When varian looked down, two of the black rocks had impaled him. Blood was dripping off them and they were angled so they crossed making a small x shape. When Varian looked up, the royals who were chasing him had disappeared. Then everything went dark.

Suddenly Varian woke up with a start. Then he realised it had just been a dream. He sighed in relief and looked around. There was a tray of moldy fruit, water, some probably not very well cooked meat, and a mashed pile of what Varian really hopped was potatoes. His stomach growled, but he didn't want to eat whatever was given to him.

It had been two weeks since Nigel's tourture started. And it had been the first time Varian had slept since he got in prison. Varian's well everything really hurt. Nigel had been whipping, stabbing, burning, branding, and nearly drowning the young teen. And anything open Varian was pretty sure was infected.

Varian looked really bad. The bags under his eyes were huge, and his skin was about as white as a cloud. Lucky for Varian though, today was check-in day. It meant once a month the less dangerous or younger criminals were able to have a little chat with the king and queen. (Surrounded by guards of course.) But for Varian it meant that he got a longer break in between Nigel's tourture sessions.

A few minutes later two guards came into Varian's cell and dragged him upstairs into the throne room. On the way to the throne room though, Varian was squinting, he hadn't seen sunlight like this for three weeks. Once he got to the throne room though Varian froze. Repunzel was there.