Chapter six: confession

Varian was laying on the floor thinking about everything. He was thinking about his crimes, his father, the dreadful broken promise, the daily tourture, and himself. He was thinking about how he was, because Rapunzel, Eugene, and Cass had been stopping by when they could and asked. 'How are you?' Varian kept saying he was fine, but to be truthful, he didn't know. So all that led to this. Him laying on the ground thinking.

He was thinking about how he was doing physically, which he was doing awful in. He was pale, tired, malnourished, weak, hurt, and he probably had a few infected wounds. But now he needed to think about how he was doing mentally. He thought about everything that happened and realized, he really wasn't ok. He was sick, both physically and mentally. He realized he needs help. Just then he heard a voice behind him.

"Hi Varian." It was a sweet and soft voice. Varian thought it was Rapunzel.

Varian sat up and turned around.

"Hi." Was all his voice could manage to say before he had a coughing fit.

"Hey hairstripe how are you doing?" Eugene asked. Varian didn't answer that question. He just looked at the three figures in front of him.

"We brought cookies!" Rapunzel said with fake happiness.

Varian looked at her surprised.

"Cookies?" He asked quietly.

"Yeah, idiot cookies." Cass said in her ice cold voice.

"Cass be nice." Rapunzel said.

Rapunzel then turned her attention back to Varian "do you want one?" She asked calmly.

Varian did want one badly, but he knew he was still supposed to be mad at the princess. Varian also remembered that recently Nigel had a mediumly long chain attached to the wall and his shackles. Varian could lay down and walk to the middle of the room, but that was about it.

"Come on you look like death, take the cookie." Cass said sternly.

"I can't." Varian replied simply.

"Why can't you?" Eugene asked, confused.

Varian sighed and stood up. He was already shaking, but now he was shaking even more. He walked as far as the chain would let him.

"I can't get to you." Varian said quietly.

Rapunzel pulled out a key and unlocked the door. She walked inside the cell.

"Uh Blondie are you sure that's a good idea?" Eugene asks.

"Yes. If he can't come to us, I'll come to him." Rapunzel replied. Her voice still had a calm soothing tone to it.

"Alright, but I will take him down if he tries anything." Cass said coldly.

"Calm down Cass, he's chained to the wall, he can't go anywhere." Eugene said smugly.

Varian looked at them, as if they forgot he was standing right there. His legs gave out once again, so he was standing right there. Rapunzel approached him. Varian finally noticed that she had a basket in her hands. He assumed that it had cookies in them. Rapunzel looked in the corner if the room, where there was a full tray of food, sitting there.

"Varian, why won't you eat the food?" Rapunzel asked, looking at him.

"I...i tried once. Then I threw up." He said quietly.

Varian just looked up and Rapunzel as she sat down in front of him.

"Well have you been drinking water?" Rapunzel asks.

"A...little." Varian sounded unsure as he said that sentence.

"You need to eat Varian. Here." Rapunzel put her hand in the basket and pulled out a few cookies.

"Here. Eat these. I baked them myself today." Rapunzel held out her hand.

Varian looked at her hand, then up at her face which had a smaller small plastered on it. Varian cautiously took the cookies and ate them. They were warm and gooey. Rapunzel reached out to move some of Varian's hair out of his face. He saw the movement and out of reflex flinched away. Varian paused eating and looked up at Rapunzel with wide eyes.

"Hey Varian it's ok. It's just me. Why did you flinch away?" Rapunzel asked as she cautiously and slowly put her hand on his shoulder.

"I...I'm sorry. I can't say. But thank you for the cookies." Varian said with his hoarse voice.

Rapunzel nodded and stood up, turning to leave. She left the basket of cookies in the cell. But before she left the cell she heard Varian whisper(most likely to himself.)

"I'm not ok."