Preparing For His Arrival

Author's Note: The image is Anabelle. I hope you enjoy the story. ;]

...........................................................................................................................

"Wake up, you little runt!", a powerful kick to my stomach stirred me awake.

With a groan, my eyes fluttered open and happened upon Mrs. Carter's angry face. I quickly rolled out of my hay bed and Mrs.Carter gripped my wrist.

"You were supposed to be awake at 5 am, and here you're sleeping until 5:40. The pack house needs to be cleaned, the floors need to be vacuumed, breakfast needs to be made, the furniture needs to be dusted! How could you be so careless? If it wasn't for Alpha Green's generous nature, you would be a rogue right now or have you forgotten? Did you really forget how indebted you're to him? My oh my, if it was up to me, you wouldn't be sleeping a wink, you ungrateful girl.", she bombarded me with the same old speech as she was dragging me from the stable to the pack house.

As much as I hated and feared her, she was right. My parents had died when I was five during a rogue attack, leaving me, their only child, to be an orphan. When you become an orphan in the pack, it's expected that you would grow up to up a warrior or a patrol guard so that you could be of servitude to those who took care of you when you had no one. But when I shifted on my 16th birthday, it turned out my werewolf was the smallest the pack had ever seen. I was a runt and a weakling. Alpha Green then decided to let me stay as long I serve the whole pack, which meant that I'm responsible for every body's chores. I was fine with that until the other wolves saw me as their inferior servant and made it a game to make my life a living hell. Mrs.Carter, the head maid, wasn't much of a help, seeing that she despised my mother because Mrs. Carter was my dad's ex girlfriend before he found his mate.

We entered the pack house with her still yapping about how awful I am. She suddenly turned around and confronted me.

"What were you doing yesterday anyway?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

"I..um..", my brain tried to scramble for an excuse. I couldn't possibly tell her that I was out wandering and looking for a human town. I seriously wanted a normal life and since I'm not welcome in my own pack, maybe I would have better luck in the human world.

Her left brow raised at my silence and I knew she would murder me if I didn't come up with something quick.

"I was up thinking about my mate", I quickly blurted out. Mate? Where did that genius excuse come from? But in for penny, in for a pound, I suppose. "I was wondering .......since I will turn eighteen in a few weeks and all....about-t m-my mate, ma'am"

Her face morphed into that of an evil villain as she manically laughed. "Your mate?" She wiped tears of laughter from her eyes and straightened up. "If I were you, I wouldn't think about that. Because the minute your mate finds out how weak you are, he is going to reject you."

Her accurate statement sprung tears into my eyes but I tried as hard as I might not to give her the pleasure of seeing me cry. I already acknowledged the fact that no mate would want me and I was fine with that, or so I liked to believe.

Mrs.Carter was heading outside when she looked over her shoulder and said, "This place must be spotless because we have a very special guest coming today as you know." Seeing my confused face, Mrs.Carter rolled her eyes and elaborated. "You never pay attention, do you? The most respected and powerful Alpha, Alpha Xander, will grace us with his presence tonight. He's coming all the way from Italy and touring the world to find his mate so you better make sure the place is squeaky clean." With that, she turned and walked out.

I sighed and got to work. Stupid Alpha, why did you have to come?