"MINE"

Author's Note: The image is Olivia. Enjoy!

..................................................................................................................................

Finally....

I sighed and unplugged the vacuum. The cleaning, cooking, and dusting was finally over and done with. Even the decorations were already in place with colorful streamers intertwining and covering the whole living room.

One look at the clock told me it was 12:32 p.m. and my rumbling stomach confirmed that it was past my lunchtime. All these physical chores and the fact I only had an apple for breakfast were taking their toll on my body.

Quickly scurrying off to the kitchen, I stopped dead in my tracks and internally groaned at the present company. Olivia and her sidekicks were gathered around the kitchen table gossiping about who knows what.

Olivia was the Alpha's only child and his "princess". She was three years older than me, having just turned twenty, and the Queen Bee of our pack. Whatever she said goes, no matter the consequences. For her sweet sixteen, she had asked for a famous band to play for her and the whole pack ended up chipping in money because the Alpha made it mandatory for every pack member to help his "princess" fulfill her wishes one way or another.

"Like I was saying...I have gotta to be his mate....", Olivia's excited yapping came to an end when I made my way to the fridge for a sandwich. Seconds that felt more like eons ticked by before a cough and a loud screech interrupted the tensely quiet environment.

"Anabelle, my dear, it's been so long since I have seen you", Olivia's fake and cherry speech forced me to look directly at her. She was still amazingly beautiful with her short, shiny blonde hair, blue cat-like eyes, and voluptuous body. Her sidekicks, Carl and Ernie, were still the same as ever.

I wanted to reply with "you probably haven't seen me because you were too busy partying to notice who was cleaning up the mess you made" but I knew from experience that she wouldn't hesitate to draw her claws out in the literal sense. Instead, like the coward I am, I told her, "I was-s just busying-g cleaning Olivia and-d ...for the-e Alpha.."

"Oh yes, I've heard about Alpha Xander's visit. Who knows? Maybe you will be his mate.'' Her sidekicks cracked up at the visible jab but Olivia wasn't done yet. "Oops, my bad, I forgot how weak you are. Chances are your mate will be a weak little human. It's really a disgrace that a weakling like you is still in our pack!"

Satisfied with the tears running down my face, Olivia pushed past me with her sidekicks following behind her like the mindless sheep they are.

Stop crying, damn it!!!! You're getting out of here first thing tomorrow. You're not wanted here. With a plan already formulating in my head, I quickly wiped the tears and went to the stable/home.

.......................................................................................................

Half an hour later, I already had everything packed because I didn't have many items to begin with. Looking around what was my home for most of my life, I realized I didn't feel the emptiness one should feel when leaving their home. I guess that's because a bed made out of hay in a cold corner of a horse stable doesn't count as a home. The only objects I had fond memories of were the books I inherited from my mother. She was a vivid reader and though I don't remember much about her or what she even looked like, reading was still an activity loved by both of us. It was my only link to them.

The sudden opening of the stable door startled me and I hurried to cover my bag with hay.

"Hey Belles, what are you doing?", a silky voice asked. I would know the kind owner of that voice even from a mile away. Spencer Miles was the only true friend I had at the Red Moon pack. And yes, he was also the guy I have been crushing on ever since I could remember. He was the youngest son of our Beta and a year older than me. For reasons unbeknownst to me, he defended me when I was picked on so it was only natural that I have always dreamed of us being mates and getting married and all that fairytale stuff, but I found out he wasn't my mate when I shifted.

"Spence, didn't your parents teach you to knock before entering someone's room?", I huffed and pretended I was mad at his lack of manners but he saw through it and chuckled.

"They need you out there, Belles. The guests have arrived and Mrs.Carter says there needs to be more decorations put up." My smile faded at this information. He hadn't come here because he wanted to see me. Stupid, I told myself. You're leaving tomorrow so stop with this silly crush. I shook my head of those stupid thoughts and met his pitying eyes head on. He opened his mouth, most likely to ask if I need any help like he always does, but I flew right past him and toward the pack house. I don't need his sympathy or help. I am not weak. Yeah, right, my insecurity poked at me with its condescending remark.

......................................................................................................................................

I sighed as I glanced at the kitchen clock. It was 11 p.m. and the welcoming party hadn't stopped yet. My wolf shifted restlessly inside me but I ignored her. She had been doing that ever since our meeting with Spencer and I assumed it was because she didn't like to be seen as weak by Spencer. I didn't like it either and I was kind of numb ever since that meeting. In fact, I was just going through the motions of filling out drinks for the waiters to take to the guests. It helped that I was alone in the kitchen so I could have some more time to figure what I should do tomorrow. I planned on leaving by 4 am and by the time they found out I was gone, I would hopefully have a huge headstart. I sighed and wondered for the millionth time why I bothered with a headstart. They didn't want me here more than I didn't want to be here. If anything, when I leave, they were going to have a party and not a search party.

Feeling fed up with my whole life, I left the kitchen. I am done being their slave. Somebody else could do the chores and be picked on everyday of their life because that person wasn't going to be me anymore.

Grabbing my bag, I was ready to leave the stable when Spencer came barging in.

"You're leaving?", his hurt expression twisted my guts and I wanted to stay with him. I have one final thing to do before I leave. Steeling my nerves, I strolled over to him, grabbed his face, and kissed him.

Before I had time to do anything else, the stable door was thrown off its hinges and there stood the scariest and most handsome man I had ever seen.

"MINE", his furious growl echoed in the night.