PROLOGUE

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12TH, 1991
6:37 PM
VANTERBEST HIGH BAND ROOM

Saturday, October twelfth, 1991. The day that I'm—apparently—about to die.

Take my word for it: when you're pinned to the floor of your high school's music room by a white-eyed, slobbering cheerleader, who's aiming for your throat with razor-sharp teeth, there's one question that will inevitably pop into your head.

How the hell did I end up here?

Maybe it all started with the accident. That, or when Mom moved us across the country in an attempt to forget about it. (In her defense, I'm sure she would've second-guessed moving us to Bradford if she'd known people would start finding mutilated corpses in the woods a few weeks after we arrived.)

Or maybe I began this bat-shit life-path on the first day of school, when I took Watts up on his offer. I guess there's a piece of advice in there somewhere—like, pick who you sit with at lunch very carefully, unless you want to get stuck trying to save the world.

A one-paragraph recap doesn't really do justice to how fucked the past month of my life has been, so allow me to take you back to where things started. Hopefully, by the time you get back to this scene, demon chick won't have ripped out my vocal cords with her teeth. If she has... well, I guess this story won't have a happy ending.

P.S.
Read fast—I'd sort of like to get out of here ASAP.

AND SO IT BEGINS! 😈

AND SO IT BEGINS! 😈