CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17TH
7:26 AM
NORMAN ADKINS HOUSE

"Oh shit." The words fall from my mouth as my body springs into action, lunging for the door. I try to slam it shut, but Kayla is already charging, sending it back on its hinges and right into my face.

Tears blur my vision as the burning heat spreads over my nose and blood pours down into my mouth. The others swear and shout, reaching for things to protect themselves with. As I cradle my nose Kayla steps towards me, taking advantage of my delirium—I'm in too much pain and shock to do anything but back away, which leaves me pinned against the desk.

Watts jumps forward, grabbing the handle of Kayla's backpack and yanking it back in an attempt to get her away from me. But the sheer force of her body rips the straps clean off, leaving the bag behind in Watts' grasp.

I think I'm screwed, but apparently, Watts's attempt at saving me pissed her off enough to have her turning on him, instead. Before she can take a step forward, Renny's lifting the desk chair over her head and launching it straight at Kayla with a grunt of exertion.

In the split second it's in the air, I wonder if it'll knock Kayla down, or if it will break on impact, given how strong she is. The last thing I expect is what actually happens: Kayla, with one swift wave of her arm, sends the chair to the ground without even taking her eyes off of Watts.

The necklace. I have to get the necklace, and we can end this all right here.

Watts, who's now been backed into the corner of the room, tosses Kayla's backpack at her just as I step forward to reach for the gold chain around her neck. Kayla catches it, throws it to the side, and notices me behind her. I duck just as she swipes, her talon-like fingernails tearing the arm of my jacket.

Ambrose seems to catch on to what I was attempting and rushes at her, using his strength to pin her against the wall. But his upper hand only lasts for a second, because before he can even attempt to snatch the necklace he's pushed back with so much force that he goes crashing backward over the desk.

The lamp falls to the floor, glass shattering from the fancy shade and the bulb inside. Papers scatter, pencils and pens roll across the hardwood.

It's four to one, but we're still losing, just like with Bernadette. And this time, we have no hidden weapon, no tricks up our sleeves.

Renny squats, picking up Kayla's bag, unzipping it, and turning it over to dump the contents on the floor. "I know you have it in here," she mutters, searching frantically through the debris.

Kayla steps towards Watts and wraps a hand around his throat, lifting him against the wall. Her free hand moves to his right one, which is still clutching Sarah's book. She yanks it from his grasp with a snarl, tossing it aside.

Ren unzips more pockets, turns the bag upside down again, and with a violent shake, something falls and clangs against the floor. "Ha!"

Watts groans in pain just as Renny lifts a can of hairspray and flicks on her lighter.

"Eat aerosol you ancient bitch!" she yells, drawing Kayla's attention just as she presses down on the can. The flame from her lighter shoots out like a flamethrower, aimed right at Kayla's face.

She immediately drops Watts, who gasps for air and crawls over to the door behind her, wincing in pain. There are red stripes along his neck where her fingers gripped the skin.

Kayla screeches, hands covering her face and trying to put out the flames in her hair. I force myself to forget that I know what it feels like to be on fire, for flames to eat away at your skin. That isn't a person. Whatever's left of Kayla in there, I can't help her.