CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4TH
7:48 PM
THE RIVERA'S HOUSE

Ambrose swung by Watts's house so he could ask his parents about staying the night at my place and grab whatever he needed. We exchanged numbers before he dropped me and Watts off at my house, and the four of us agreed to call at any hour of the night if anything new happens—I'm sincerely hoping we won't have to make good on that promise.

Mom and Dad are washing dishes, shoulder to shoulder in the small kitchen when Watts and I enter the house, and I let out an "I'm home," even though the door creaking pretty much gives that away. 

Watts waves sheepishly as they look up, saying a tentative, "Hi."

They've met him briefly since we ride to school together every morning, but they both look surprised to see him. I think they're shocked I've made a friend in Bradford, and I can't say I really blame them. After Miguel's passing, friendship wasn't on my list of priorities at all—which is why I'm almost positive they won't mind Watts staying the night. Anything that might help us all feel a little bit more normal again.

"Uh, we still have a lot of work to do on our project, and I wanted to show Watts that movie I taped last month. I was wondering if he could stay over for the night?" It's a proposition filled with lies, but I don't think they'd be very understanding if I told them the real reason I need to have a sleepover is that we're worried a demon might come attack us tonight.

"Of course!" Mom waves us over, gesturing to the pizza box on the counter. "There's still a few slices left if you're hungry."

"No, thanks," I say with a shake of my head. "We went to that diner in town after the library."

"Oh, good!" Mom smiles, because she thinks that means I ate something. "I'm glad you guys got home before curfew." She sighs and frowns at the plate she's scrubbing. "Crazy world out there."

Dad places the cup he's just dried into the cabinet above him and turns to Watts. "So, Watts, are you planning to try out for baseball like Diego? It'd be nice if he had a friend on the team."

"Uh, I'm not much of a sports guy, unfortunately." He laughs slightly as he pushes up his glasses. "Gym is the only class I've never managed to get an A in."

Dad chuckles, pointing between us with a dripping spatula. "Well, that makes you two opposites, then."

"Ha-ha." I roll my eyes, since I know he knows I've aced things other than Phys. Ed. "If we don't finish this project, then my grades definitely aren't going to get any better." Which is true in a sense, because if we don't figure all this out, it looks like there's a decent chance I won't live to see my next report card.

At that comment they let me lead Watts upstairs to my room, where I shut the door behind us and turn to see him looking at me with raised eyebrows and a grimace.

"You told your parents you're on the team?"

"What? No—I haven't tried out yet."

His gaze drops to the floor, and he shifts from foot to foot. "Uh. Dude."

"What?"

"I mean... I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure tryouts already happened."

I shake my head, stomach sinking despite knowing that can't be true. "No—remember what that guy said on the first day? Tryouts are on October seventh. I wrote it down and everything."

"In my defense, I almost never pay attention to anything Branden says. To be honest, I mean, I sort of thought you lost interest. I never heard you mention it again. If I knew he gave you the wrong day, I would've told you. But... I'm sorry, D. Tryouts were on Wednesday. I'm almost positive."