CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19TH
10:23 AM
THE RIVERA'S HOUSE

I trod downstairs with a backpack full of dress clothes on my shoulders and a baseball bat in my hand. I make no attempt to be quiet, and when I reach the foyer, my parents are already staring at me from the living room.

Dad's brows lower as soon as he gives me a once over. "Diego. You're dressed."

I nod, swallowing the fear that threatens to crawl up my throat. "Yeah. I'm going out."

"Out?" Mom repeats, eyes wide. "Diego, you're grounded."

"I know. And you can keep me locked up in here for however long you want after today. But my friends need me tonight, and I'm not going to let them down."

"Diego." Dad rises from his chair. "You are not leaving this house."

My body is heavy with fear, but I keep my eyes locked on his and force myself to stand tall. "I owe you guys an apology. I've been lying to you a lot more than you think."

He blinks once, and the words seem to stun him into silence. 

With a sigh, I force myself to continue. "Last night I thought about all the things I could do to fix this. I could beg Coach Deeley to let me on the team, or find some league to play in outside of school. I thought I'd ask to go to the library and research what baseball scholarships might still work for me if I didn't play this year. But all that would just be more lies.
"The truth is, I never wanted to be on the baseball team at all. I didn't even enjoy last season at Darwin, and I wasn't planning to try out there, either. But after what I did to Miguel... I thought I owed it to you. That maybe if I tried to be exactly who you wanted me to be, losing him might hurt less. If anything, it probably just made you miss him more. Because I'm terrible at trying to fill his shoes, and I'm miserable trying to do it. So... I'm not going to try anymore."

I reach for the door handle, preparing for my escape. "I want to do what makes me happy, and I hope you guys can appreciate an art scholarship just as much as a sports one. I'm sorry that it took all this for me to finally tell the truth, but... there it is. And if I could tell you the reason I have to go, I know you'd understand, but I can't. I love you. And I'll be back."

At least, I sure hope I will be. 

Before they can answer I'm out the door, hopping on my bike and pedaling onto the street. And for what feels like the first time since May, I manage to take a deep breath. 

It's done. It's finally done. 

I can move on from all the lying and pretending. I can be myself. The guy who Miguel was proud of, and who I can be proud of, too. And whether or not Mom and Dad are... I think that'll be enough. 

I head straight to Watts' house, and try not to panic when I see the empty driveway. His bike is propped by the front door, which means that he's most likely home—unless Ambrose picked him up. They could already be grouped up, preparing for the night.

I jump from my bike and jog up to the door, pressing the bell. Please be home, please be home, please be—

The door swings open, and I'm face to face with a surprised-looking Watts. "D? I thought—"

"I'm sorry," I cut him off. "You were totally right yesterday. I was being an idiot trying to make my parents happy that way. And it was so... so selfish of me to bow out like that. The four of us got into this together, and we're finishing it together. I mean, if you're not all too pissed at me."

He breaks into an easy smile. Someone else's hand grabs the door, opening it wider—Renny. She eyes me, then lets a slow grin spread across her face.