Did Someone Say Snuggle Time?

Ash's POV

I.
Am.
Dying.
There are no other words to describe what is happening with my body right now. I don't know what god I pissed off, but I am rethinking all my life choices at this moment. As I look out my window facing the east side of the house, I make a mental note of my body and the events that got me here. The last thing I remember last night, before finally passing out, was Uncle and Archer's sounds helping Shawn and Clara to their designated rooms. Archer might have checked on me, but that just might be wishful thinking. Moving my arm in a swiping motion, I reach to feel if Lee is in his usual spot on the right side of the bed. Turning my head in his direction, I sweep my eyes over him, assessing how he is doing. From the soft snoring sounds coming from him, I assume he is doing better than me. At least he is sleeping soundly now. A ping of guilt washes over me as I remember why he is sick. I all but shoved the cookies down his throat yesterday. Mentally I shake myself for always trying to be pushy and forcing him to do things I know he doesn't like. I move my hand to trace his soft skin where my eyes were just scanning a moment ago. Lee wrinkles his nose at my gentle touch and turns his face away from me. I can't help the small chuckle that leaves me. Deciding that I need to check on Clara now that I know Lee is doing better, I move to swing my legs out of bed and stand. I must have stood up too fast because my head gets dizzy, and I sway on my feet. I reach out to place a hand on the side table knocking off a pill bottle. I guess Archer did come to check on me at some point. Gradually, feeling like the world has stopped spinning, I stand at my full height. More stable and less like a newborn calf, I move to the door.
Clara's room is across from mine, which I am grateful for at this moment. As I approach, I lean my head against the door, trying to hear any noise coming from inside. Relieved when I hear none, I open the door slowly, looking over to Clara's bed and surprised when I don't see her. Not caring if my body revolts, I move with more speed than I thought I could muster at this moment and sweep the bedroom. As I pass the bathroom, I pause to see if I hear any noise. A soft, almost inaudible sound comes from the connected bathroom. Moving as fast as my once dying and now recovering body will let me, I push open the bathroom door finding Uncle sitting on the floor with Clara's head laying in his lap. A towel is lying across her shoulders in an attempt to keep her warm. I guess I don't remove my puzzled look fast enough because the sound of Uncles' deep but tender chuckle catches my attention; moving my eyes from Clara's face, I look up and scan Uncle. In the quietest voice I can, I whisper, "What are you guys doing in here like this?"
    "At some point in the middle of the night, I came here to check on her and found her rushing to the bathroom. I waited until I heard her finish, and when she didn't come out, I came in to check on her. This is how I found her. I'm not the young lad I once was, and I could not move her on my own, so I did the next best thing and tried to make her as comfortable on the floor as possible."
After a slight pause, he says, "Don't just stand there boy, help me get her up and put back to bed where she belongs." For the first time in a long time, I really look at Uncle. The lines around his eyes and mouth are more pronounced now than I remember. He also looks smaller in a way, not giving justice to his 6'2 frame. "Okay old man, let's get you up before you break something," I say with more mirth in my voice than I feel. With a huff of disapproval at my words, he pushes Clara up as I bend more and lift her into my arms. Holding her bridal style, I look down at her. She doesn't stir. The worry I feel instantly rocks me to my core. 
    "Don't worry, Ash, she's just done tuckered out, and I can't blame her. This girls gone through hell in the last 12 hours. You all have."  Readjusting her into my arms, I bring her in closer to my chest, needing to be as close as I can. I move slowly out of the bathroom into her room, trying not to jar her more than I already have. As I make my way back into her bedroom with Uncle hot on my heels, I notice the sun has finally risen. Uncle must-have realized it too because he asks, "What time is it? It took one of you longer to come looking for her than I thought it would. My ass and back are going to be paying for this all day."  Surprised by his words, I pause midway to her bed and turn my head in his direction and ask, "You knew that one of us would come for her?"
    "I was banking on it, now get her in bed, you look like you are about to pass out on me, and that is special cargo you're holding." Too tired to fully process his words, I do as he says, moving the rest of the way I place her in bed. Without giving it a second thought, I begin to crawl into the bed next to Clara; remembering Uncle is in the room, I pause my movement. Looking at the man, I try to gauge how he is feeling about me being in bed with his only niece.
    "Go on boy, get some sleep. I will take care of morning chores. I guess we got lucky, and it's Sunday, so not much to do. I will see you when you make your way downstairs," Uncle says as he moves for the open door and gently closes it behind him. I shake my head, not giving to flying pigs what just happen as an overwhelming tiredness tries to take me under. I move Clare over more so we are both positioned in the middle of her queen-size mattress and snuggle into each other. I fall asleep listening to the soft sounds of her breath and the steady sound of her heartbeat.