5

As promised, another chapter. I like this one, it's really cute. :^)

          Jeremiah knew the only way to talk to Angel was to corner him in a way he couldn't evade him. Angel went to the library every other day to look for books or work on assignments, so as he perused the back where all the nonfiction old texts were shelved, Jeremiah slipped behind the wall pretending to read a random book.

          The boy's eyes were down on the printed font slowly walking towards Jeremiah's corner. He took the opening and murmured, "Ángel" His face was startled and even more so as Jeremiah pinned him to the wall, his hand flat by his face to minimize his ability to dodge him.

          "Hey" He smiled warmly to ease him, "What's up, man?"

          His eyes were wide and cute like a scared deer. His hair was overgrown and wavy, and it fell over his forehead. Angel flicked his head to one side to get the strands out of his sight.

          "Uhm, reading? You want somethin'?"

          "Let's hang out" Jeremiah tucked the strand out of his way as it was slipping slowly back down over Angel's brown Bambi eyes.

          They had been spending a lot of time together, granted most of it was mandatory out of their student-athlete duties, but Angel was awkward as ever and was struggling to conceal his modest attraction to his friend. Mostly because it was always only them talking with each other.

          He couldn't spend any more time with him. Even if he really wanted to.

          "I can't. Gotta study"

          "We can study together. What class?"

          "We're different majors"

          Jeremiah shrugged like it was a meaningless detail, "We can go to the back tables and chill. Bring your books"

          Angel couldn't come up with an excuse in time, "Uh...I mean..."

          "Just having each other's company. I won't distract you, man. Promise. But if you don't want to, that's cool too"

          "O-okay. Yeah, man, sure"

          Jeremiah was quiet. He was reading a thick novel that didn't look like it was for any class, but he thumbed the pages, zeroed in on the story, the outside of his foot against Angel's under the table.

          They were on opposite sides and sitting diagonal from each other. Angel wasn't as distracted by Jeremiah but his head hurt from taking notes out of his textbooks. Since high school he'd been working on studying techniques to help himself, which was how he was able to do well so far but it required a lot of mental exertion. He sighed and laid the side of his head down.

          Angel closed his eyes. He wasn't giving up. He'd gone through this many times. It took a lot out of him but it was what he had to do to understand his courses. He wished he was like Venus. Able to just show up to class and understand it all effortlessly.

          "Stressed?"

          He sighed and opened his eyes. Jeremiah had his head down, too, in front of him at eye level.

          Angel blushed at the proximity. "Yeah. You already know I have a hard time in school. Gotta do a lil' more work than most people"

          "I think you're doing a great job, man"

          "O-oh. Thanks" Angel smiled.

          "If your head hurts I could give you a massage" He teased with his hand running through his hair and the pads of his two fingers rubbing Angel's temple.

          Angel took his hand and while he wanted it to linger, he set it down on the library table, "My momma used to give me massages like that. When I was back home"

          "You miss home?"

          He left his hand on the table a few inches away from where he left Jeremiah's. "Sometimes. Like when I'm reminded of these lil' things. Do you? I never saw you while I was there for community college. Like for holidays"

          "I went back only once for winter break. But..." He chuckled sheepishly, "I didn't know where you lived. I even asked Garrett"

          "You had my number"

          He laughed, "Jesus, Angel. I was shy. I didn't think you wanted to see me"

          "I..." Angel looked down at their hands, "I would've wanted to see you"

          "...yeah?" Jeremiah moved it closer, his pinky brushing Angel's own.

          He flushed overwhelmed, feeling the heat crawl up to his ears. He didn't know how to respond. "U-uh..."

          His phone rang and they jumped, sitting upright. Somehow he forgot this was the hour his mom would call to talk. Angel apologized and hurried off out of the library to answer her.

          "Buenos días, Ama. Como andas?"

          "Estoy con tu papá en el supermercado" He could hear the shopping cart through the phone. "Oye, mijo, todo bien? You sound like you're shaken up"

          "Yeah, Ma. I'm fine. Everything's fine"