12

"I like you" Jeremiah cupped angels face with his hands like it were a spectacle ready to vanish at any moment. Like an eclipse or a night blooming cereus cactus. There was so much earnestness in his chest that it was becoming harder and less bearable to be here without vomiting everything he wanted to say to Angel everywhere.

          But Jeremiah pulled himself off of him. Angel was out but it wasn't his place to out him in front of the whole school with his impulsive feelings.

           The two of them plastered themselves on the grass under a pitched tent to get out of the way of the later runners. They weren't hiding their exhaustion, taking profound breaths of air to slow their heart rate, and craving water. Osvaldo, Scott and one of the non-track volunteers were sitting a few yards away from them holding some plastic water cups from earlier.

          Jeremiah sat by the boy's legs to massage his sore calf. He was familiar with Angel's cramps, having everything he's ever learned about Angel written in his heart like a nutrition label listing the all the ingredients that made Angel himself.

          The win was satisfying—to Angel and Jeremiah. Exhilarating, even. Angel missed winning. And Jeremiah missed seeing him happy.

          Seeing the satisfied look on his face made Jeremiah profess again, "I like you"

          "I–I heard you"

          Jeremiah laughed at himself. He was acting like a fool. He looked him in the eyes, his panting lessening into normal breaths, and squeezed his leg fondly, "You did great. Now everyone knows your secret. That you're amazing"

          It was a bittersweet compliment to Angel.

          "I was going to tell you later and not now, but I had to make sure you'd follow through with the marathon. I've seen you at practice. Like you're on the edge of committing but then you slow back down. I needed you prove it to yourself. That you shouldn't be scared. And then...maybe out of pocket I told you too soon–que te quiero, Ángel"

          Angel was at a loss for words. He'd said it maybe three times already. Angel personally wasn't comfortable with saying it once. To himself. Let alone out loud. Three, no, four times. He eyed the stage where his other friends were standing on, "Quit sayin' that. It's embarrassing"

          Venus rushed from her place next to Carson to the two of them at the edge of the football field, screaming erratically, "Angel, you selfish dumb bitch, why didn't you fuckin' tell me you were good-good! That was beautiful!" She had water bottles in her arms. She emptied one on both their faces, neither complaining from how cooling it was.

          Angel scrunched his face up and wiped the liquid down with his shirt, "My bad. Must have slipped my mind"

          People were surprised. No one knew the winner. Angel was the quiet transfer from some community college. It was a teensy bit funny to him since he was certain no one bet on him. He showed up, did well, and now he could leave knowing he did his part for charity. This called for a shower and a celebratory nap.

          "Congratulation to number 2: Angel Romero. Times will be posted shortly. We'll announce the lucky winner of the bet in a minute" Carson was the one on the microphone at the stage. Speakers were lined up by the bleachers, the track and down the entrance to the football field for the participants to hear as they returned to the oval.

          "This'll be quick" Angel murmured. A harmless pessimism laced in his tone.

          "I don't know about that" Venus said hinting at something else.