6

Angel didn't do outward professions of the heart. He didn't think he had to say anything either. It was an irrelevant detail. But it wouldn't hurt to tell Venus, right? They were becoming close friends. Close friends know those kinds of things. He'd tell her.

          Venus was taking him into a room by the arm, where the student government body gathered for meetings. She was Vice President and after they would hang out at the lounge she'd just come back here to get her responsibilities done. Normally after they'd hang out in the lounge they'd go their separate ways. She'd go to the SGA room and Angel would either go to class or practice.

          She flipped her braids over her neck to one side so she could lean her shoulder on the wall next to them, "I want you to meet my friend Carson. He's the president of the Student Government Association. He's one of my closest friends. I actually been wantin' you to meet him but I didn't want to do it right away"

          "Oh...cool. Sure" What he had to tell her would have to wait.

          "Is it?" She double checked knowing Angel well. Bringing a friend to someone you know has anxiety? She'd only wanted to involve him more in her life and meet more people.

          "'Course" He wasn't one hundred percent, in case he embarrassed himself, but he was open to trying.

          She looked over his shoulder and tapped his chest to warn Angel of someone walking into their conversation. She greeted a tan, bookish-looking lamppost of a guy in thin framed glasses and blonde curly hair, "Ey, Carson"

          "Hey, Venus" Carson closed the door and set his satchel on a nearby desk. His movements slowed down at seeing the guy he'd been meant to befriend, "Oh, and...?"

          "This is Angel. The one I told you about. From the track team"

          "Oh, yeah, I recognize you. The pretty one"

          Pretty one?

        "Brian hasn't confirmed the list of volunteers for the race or even sent me one like I told him to, but I think you're on it. Your coach just kind of pointed to all the guys who are going to be doing it?" Carson chuckled like its happened tirelessly before, "Thanks for being a part of it"

          Angel ran a hand through his thick locks and politely laughed, "Don't thank me yet. I didn't exactly volunteer"

          He grinned, crossing his arms, "No one really does, mate"

          "Oh!" She patted his back, "This is his first semester here so he doesn't know about our Valentine's traditions. You could explain it to him better. You're SGA President. And you can get him to help us set up"

          "Mm, sure. I could explain it a little more. If you want? Did anyone explain how we earn the money?"

          "Something about a date? And a winner?"

          "It's free to go to but there's going to be raffles, giveaways, and a form of betting. People write in on a ballot who from the track team and volunteers will win. Whoever guesses correctly and with the closest time gets to pick a 'date' with someone from the track team"

          "And the school is just...cool with that?"

          "It's not exactly marketed as a date, 'cause then no one would wanna do it" Venus explained.

          Carson nodded, "Plenty of friends or girlfriends bet on the boys since the win is a full-paid trip for two people to any restaurant, amusement park, whatever the person picks. Within reasonable bounds"

          Angel sifted through his memories to remember who was on the list. No matter who else, Jeremiah was still on it. He didn't think he had a girlfriend? He'd never mentioned her. If Jeremiah was picked, no matter who won the race, he hoped at least a friend would pick him. It would save him the pain of seeing him get swept away by a girl he didn't know in front of a crowd of people.

          "I was planning on helping out anyway. Im excused 'cause I'm runnin' in it but if y'all need more hands, I'm down"

          "I'd appreciate it. Some of the track guys in the past end up...not quite helpful. Bring a friend too, if it's not too much to ask" Carson gave him a friendly smirk, "I look forward to watching you compete. Venus told me you're pretty good and from what I've seen you are. I might have to rig the ballot box and win that date with you"

          Angel shuffled his feet to one side and rubbed his neck nervously. He'd been hit on before and every time he'd react the same: Slightly uncomfortable and at a loss for words. Even Venus looked surprised, looking back and forth between the two boys.

          "Y-yeah, I'm excited. I got...I got a friend I can bring to help"

         Carson smiled like he hadn't just said anything so unabashedly, "Saturday then. Wear something you don't mind getting stained"