CHAPTER 60

Since the beginning of our exile, we'd sought refuge in city after city, but none would take us. Amidst our waning spirits we all coped in our own way. Some, like the Young Emperor, looked for comfort in the company of others, seeking me out whenever he could. Some, like Etsu, kept their minds occupied by working in the Atrium. Lai could not cope at all as he had given in to his doubts and sought to bring an end to our journey. Still others simply left the ship while at port, never to return.

Dae Jung however, refused to give up. He refused to see the reality of our predicament. Seeking, but failing, to drug the Young Emperor into submission, punishing Princess Xianfeng's mother and sparking a terrible feud; I knew, as I looked into his eyes, hopelessness had driven him to paranoia. It had made him mad. 

"The both of you are banished," he said. "Leave this place at once, and be sure to take that disgusting princess with you."

"Lord Dae Jung." Ai spouted his name with such resentment, that one of the officers took her by the arm.

"Don't you dare lay a hand on her!" I cried out. One of the men grabbed a hold of my wrist and gave it a sharp twist, immediately silencing my disrespectful words and replacing them with shouts of pain.

I clenched my other hand into a fist, then swung as hard as I could. I knew that no matter what I did, I could not break free from his grasp. Yet, I wanted to strike him anyways. As my arm came around, a sudden rush of wind surged from beneath me, wedging the two of us apart and blowing both our bodies in opposite directions. I immediately sat up and looked to Kassashimei.

"What was that?" I said.

 But she seemed just as confused as I was, for she only gave a small shrug.

For a few seconds, a curious silence fell upon us, that is, until a single voice filled the quiet void.

"Lord Dae Jung, I'm afraid it is you whom I must banish." 

All eyes turned to the ever familiar voice of the child emperor as he strolled down the main boarding ramp with Ren Tzu and a few other loyal members of his court following close behind. Princess Xiangfeng and her injured mother were at his side. Dae Jung and his officers quickly faced in his direction and bowed their heads.    

 "Young Emperor," Dae Jung said. "Please do not concern yourself with these matters. For someone as young and as fragile as yourself, it would be best that you remain in the ship's throne room until we plan a course for a country that will grant you refuge."

"Did you not hear me?" the Young Emperor said, stopping a few paces in front him. "You are exiled."

For one long moment, he had nothing to say. While his peers kept their gazes to the ground, the old advisor, a man who had served the Imperial Family all his life defiantly lifted his eyes to meet the child's.

"I don't understand," he said hesitantly.

"Of course you understand. You already know of the dangers you've put me through. You already know of your attempts to subdue me with drugs. And you know of the insults you've caused to our allies. . .to the Royal Family."

"Young Emperor please. I've only had your best interest in mind."

"Then you should know that if you stay, you will continue to put me and the lives of everyone else in peril." His tone softened, lowering the commanding sound of his voice to one of empathy. "Please, leave; while you still have your dignity, while your honor is still intact. The princess still holds her vow to kill you. But she will not act as long as she stays beside me. For as long as you remain here, I will continue to fear for your life."