CHAPTER 7

Even though the boat was firmly nestled in the ground, I felt a strange sensation of being high above the Earth. I stood at the bow, on a piece of wood flooring, just wide enough to spread my feet a pace or two past the breadth of my shoulders.

"See the two red circles painted in the center?" Lai said tying a rope around my waist, then securing the other end to a peg nailed into the rim of the boat. "Put one foot in each circle. That’s where you’ll take your starting position. Now give me your tamma."

He took the tamma from my hand and mounted it on a wooden pedestal that curved upwards along the front of the boat, which securely held the glass ball well in front of me at eye-level.

Etsu was watching several paces away, a look of fear and apprehension that unsurprisingly mirrored my own.

"Lai, aren't we moving a little too fast? I don't think beginner students are even allowed to fly yet." I said hesitantly.

"Nonesense." He patted my shoulder before stepping away. "There’s no such thing as a beginner student. If you aren‘t ready to fly, then there‘s no point in you being here is there?"

Kassashimei seemed reluctant as Mai helped her into the boat. "I know I’m supposed to be this boy’s shyo mah," she grumbled. "But shouldn't Mai be paired with him first? I’m sure she’s more experienced than I am."

Mai was quick to reply. "I am bound to my brother to serve him and only him, just as he is bound to serve only me. For this to work, Terr must train with an unbound partner."

Kassashimei gave a cynical sounding groan as she settled into the center of the boat an arm’s length behind me.

"Now I don't know how skilled you are at Kaikua-," Lai said

"I already told you, I'm the best in my class." I interjected.

"That may be so, but just remember. There’s a difference between doing your forms on solid ground and doing it while the floor is pitching and rolling. The key is balance. There are no handrails or anything for you to grab on; just that piece of rope should you lose your balance or fall off. All I want you to do, is make the boat float a few paces off the ground."

"How do I do that?"

"You don't. I do that," Kassashimei blurted. "Just tell me to make a bubble around the boat."

"How big of a bubble?"

"How am I supposed to know? You're the one that‘s supposed to see things that I can‘t. Now start moving your hands around before I get bored."

She crossed her arms and gave an agitated glare. She then waved me on like an angry mother would to a confused child. I found it hard to convince myself that her reason for being here was to help me.

I took my starting stance and focused on unlocking my other sight. A minutes passed, but the ether refused to reveal itself. A bright needle appeared on the tamma pointing out the flow of the main current, but not a wisp of blue light or any form of watery glow was to be found.

"Well?" Kassashimei thumped her foot impatiently against the floor of the boat.

"Just give me a moment. I need to concentrate."

She breathed a furious sigh.

A few more minutes past and still nothing. I must have looked silly, frozen like a statue as I remained in my ready position, vigilant, but only watching empty air.

"That's it. I'm getting tired," Kassashimei's incessant foot tapping grew much louder. "Etsu, I have a feeling this is going to take all night and we really should get some sleep."