CHAPTER 23

As Kassashimei and I walked back to our rooms I found myself overcome with a sort of joy that I thought I‘d never experience.

With my tiny, insignificant performance, I had somehow influenced a small part of my world. More importantly, it was the course of my own life that I had changed. I finally had a chance to prove that my life had worth, that I was standing on my own feet, and moving forward to a destination that was just a bit clearer.

"The prayer beads," Kassashimei said quietly. "The beads I gave you. They're special you see. They can make all sorts of things happen. They can even give you courage. You do believe in them don't you?"

She seemed so earnest, stricken with a sincerity she could hardly contain.

"There's a reassuring sound they make when I shake them, " I replied. "When I hear it, I feel like I can keep going."

"Then I was able to help you."

"Kass, I haven't forgotten what you said when we left the tea house that day. You told me that you were useless.

Well you're not. As long as I know that you're here, you're never useless. And I can only imagine what would have become of me if you weren't around. So I guess I should thank-"

"No, don't thank me. Now is not the moment for that."

There was a small, pleasant gleam in her eyes that told me she was all the more content; and that was all she needed for now.

"The Boar?" she teased, changing the subject. "How could you give anyone such a terrible name?

"Well that's what he looks like. Can't you see the resemblance on his face?"

"Do I resemble a certain animal? The day you first saw me, you had an animal name picked out for me didn't you?"

She gave me a playful shove.

"No, I swear. To me you're just Kass, and that's all."

Her face soured.

"I don't believe you. I'm coming into your room tonight just to listen to you talk in your sleep again. If I hear you say, “Kass the monkey” or “Kass the rat“, then I'm going to take an ink brush to your face."

I accepted her challenge and dared her to prove me a liar.

To my surprise, she did visit my room that night, but for far more desperate reasons.

Like so many times before, I felt her hand grab the collar of my shirt. After a sudden tug, I fell out of bed and moaned unhappily on the floor, before getting up and darting a fierce look in her direction. She plopped down and thrust her face in front of mine. She had a look of triumph about her, as if she were proud of some sort of recent mischief. She asked if I was awake, then rasped, her knuckle against my forehead to be sure. I groaned and told her to stop but she immediately slapped her palm against my mouth and told me to hush.

"Terr, I did some exploring on the upper decks and you wouldn't believe what I found."

Annoyed, I peeled Kassashimei's hand from my mouth.

"Kass, we're supposed to stay on the ritual decks. What were you doing out there?"

"You wanted to talk to the Boar didn't you? So I was spying on him, waiting for the right moment to get his attention."

"You can't just break the rules when you please. Besides, the old man told me to stay away from him."

She gave a sinister smile, then grabbed me by the collar again and proceeded to lead me out of the room.