CHAPTER 10

Though Masa pretended that such an event was a horrible, fearful experience, it was in fact, an omen of better things to come; at least for some of us. Immediately after Kidou's change, our class became separated between those whose eyes were purple like mine and the others, whose eyes had turned to more advanced colors.

One, then two other students soon joined Kidou and like a great, unseen wall, a noticeable divide formed amongst us. They were given their own rooms, were made to eat at their own side of the table, and even their clothing had changed.

Master Ichiro presented a golden silk sash to Kidou and the others after they had recovered from their change, to mark their new status. Kidou was as proud as ever, and even though he continued to express his usual, serious demeanor, Han and I saw him smile more often than we were used to.

Even though Kidou was no longer Han's roommate, the two of them were just as content having rooms of their own.

Han was more than happy to take advantage of this, especially when it was discovered that Ori repeatedly snuck in food from the dining hall. Afraid that his roommate might find out and tell the Boar, Han graciously offered to hide his food as well as piled extra uniforms and shoes and other items into his newly won closet space. As class leader, he wanted to keep everyone out of trouble, especially if they’d lost or misplaced an important item for class.

In the weeks that followed, the Wudan Wall was tested, then mastered by every yellow-eyed student in the class. Eye color was not just a symbol of status, but also proof of how adept they’d become.

"There used to be some sort of muddy fish net over my eyes when I used to see the Ether," Kidou explained to me and a few of the other purple eyes, the night after he passed his Wudan Wall test. "But now it‘s all gone, clearer even."

"Can you control your second sight yet?“ Ori asked. “I still can't seem to turn it on and off when I want to." His eyes were unique, in that they were purple with small, yellow speckles. The Boar had told Han to watch over him, as he was on the verge of turning any day.

"Ori, you're the only person that has trouble doing that," someone uttered, making everyone grin.

Though Ori was not the brightest member of our class, he was at least unafraid to admit what we all were too proud to say. He was not the only one facing the challenge of using his second sight at will. In truth, every one of us with purple eyes, had yet to master it.

The weeks came and went. Eventually, only me, Masa and just a few other students remained whose eyes stubbornly refused to change color. Even Ori, and the other slower students were finally granted their sashes of gold, and had mastered the Wudan Wall. Now all that remained, was for their eyes to change color again, to green; then they would be ready to move on to the River Temple.

Kassashimei wasted no time in expressing her disappointment. She’d thought, that with all the morning training I’d been put through, day after day, my eyes should have changed, at least a little. She made it a point to give me a nickname: Lilac Eyes, which she teasingly called me every time we met.

Just as Kidou had described, my vision of the ether was seen through a finely woven net, caked with mud. The clearest I’d ever seen it, was that morning, weeks ago when my eyesight had turned everyone around me to ghosts. I’d never been able to repeat it since.

But somehow, I’d grown used to it. I taught myself to recognize the shapes and motions of the waves with what little pieces and blotches were presented to me.

Everyday, I found myself under the Boar’s expectant gaze. His expression was much more stern than usual, and I began to feel like a baby bird that had remained in the nest, when all the others had already flown away. Guilt consumed me, and I avoided looking at him as much as possible.