CHAPTER 38

If ever there was a moment on the Emperor's Airship I remembered most, it was when the ship took flight. For upon the empire's divine vessel, there were ceremonies and traditions that needed to be attended to. Several hours before departure, the monks prayed and blessed every deck with the sweet smells of incense and scented oils. 

There was a brass signal bell the size of a small house at the center of the main deck, which had detailed images of valleys and mountains molded all along its surface as well as pictures of the sun goddess and the moon god looming along the edge of the base. A mighty hammer was used to sound the bell three times: once to signal that the monks had finished their spiritual preparations, the second to announce that the captain and his men were ready, and a third and final ring to acknowledge that the emperor had given his decree to cast his feet from the earth and make haste for the skies above. 

All but the third ring had been made by the time the rest of the children and I had been ushered above deck to witness the launching. The shyo mu, whose job was to observe the weather, announced that all was clear and calm before heaven’s grace and the chienkuu ko in the glass bubble of the ritual room below rang a chime-like gong that sounded throughout the voice pipes, a sign that they too were ready. Though the children in the ritual room would be tasked with flying the ship, there was an honor to be had among us that was unique only to the emperor's vessel; and that was the chienkuu ko who would stand at the very bow and commit us into the air. For Ai, this was a moment solely bestowed to her. 

The Young Emperor, surrounded by his court, took his seat upon a throne made of brass and mahogany at the highest point of the deck just below the bridge tower. The rest of us stood in orderly rows as Ai, escorted by Master Ichiro, the Boar, regally made her way to the very edge of the bow. 

Secretly, and with much anticipation, I’d been eagerly waiting to watch her perform the elegant motions that I’d seen her do the other day. From the moment I’d witnessed her dance-like movements, I’d felt overtaken, perhaps even weakened by her enchanting aura. However, such a thing was not to happen, for before the Young Emperor gave word to sound the third bell, his voice called out for me. 

"That boy over there, bring him here," he said, pointing in my direction. 

His guards escorted me to his throne, while his court regarded me with stern, judging eyes. A few of the court maidens whispered curiously to each other as if wondering what sort of mischief I’d done to warrant the Young Emperor's attention. He motioned for me to come, and cautiously, as I approached, he held up a golden fan, hiding both our faces as he whispered. 

"The Emperor wishes to know your name," he said.

"My name is Terr, your imperial highness," I answered. 

"Terr, you’ve seen the Emperor's true self, and now, the Emperor wishes to see yours." 

The Young Emperor commanded Ai to step down. She bowed as she humbly conceded her place to both Kassashimei and I. There were some murmurs of doubt among the adults, for the honor of launching the Empire's divine air vessel had always been the charge of the most senior and skilled of us all. Though the request seemed unorthodox, no one questioned the Young Emperor's decision. 

With great care, the Boar mounted my tamma on the pedestal while Ai seated Kassashimei on a small, raised platform behind me. The circle I stood upon was nothing more than a round, smooth wooden board that sat at the very edge of the bow, overlooking the ground below. I shivered in nervous anticipation as the only thing that protected me from slipping over the side was a small railing of metal posts and chains. 

As I looked back at Kassashimei, I noticed that her eyes were avoiding me. She seemed haunted by something she was ashamed of, perhaps some feeling that arose during that evening we shared in the store room. I held my arm, displaying the prayer beads upon my wrist. I was certain that she would be pleased, that I had not forgotten the symbol of good fortune she’d given me. She nodded hesitantly before I turned my attention back towards the bow.