Chapter 16

But there came a time the fellowship had to continue their journey.
To say their goodbyes to the friendly, peaceful elves was hard for them.
The sun sleepy blinked over the horizon, ready to shine the whole day again, when they packed their things.
The elves gave them plenty of food and even clothes for their way.
"Lembras.", an elf explained to Gimli, who didn't know much about the elves.
They also got grey overcoats. Elf-coats, hand-made in Lórien. The fellowship should be the first strangers to wear them.
After the breakfast was the time to say goodbye for probably forever. Haldir lead to the great river, where three boats were waiting for them. Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn sat down in the first one. Merry, Pippin, and Boromir in the second. And Legolas, Gimli, and Faya in the last one.
A while the nine were accompanied by Galadriel and Celeborn, who were sitting in a big, beautiful swan boat.
They ate together and Galadriel gave each of them a present:
Aragorn got a sword. It was decorated with blossoms and leaves of silver and gold and elf-runes of gems.  Its' name was Andúril. To that she gave him the Elessar, the elfstone of the House Elendil.
Boromir got a golden belt.
Pippin and Merry received slender silver belts with golden buckles in shape of flowers.
Legolas, she handed over a bow. It was longer and stronger than any bow made in the Mirkwood and it's string was made of elven hair. To that he got a quiver and arrows.
Sam got a simple wooden box, on which cover elf-runes were carved. Inside was soil from Galadriels own garden.
Gimli wished for a strand of her hair and as he got it, he began to blush madly.
Frodo received a small crystal flask, in which she had captured the light of Earendils star, reflected by the high ladies' fountain.
Last she turned to Faya.
Galadriel kissed the young woman on the hair and said something the others weren't able to understand. Then she took a ring from the finger and gave it to the half-wolf.
Faya looked up with big eyes. She shook her head.
"I can't take that.", she whispered.
But Galadriel just smiled and nodded.
Then they had to go.
They went back to the boats and soon the swan-boat wasn't visible anymore. And soon after that, Lórien was gone too.
There wasn't one dry eye that day.
For Gimli it was worst. Inconsolable he looked back.
Legolas tried to comfort him and failed.
Helpless he looked at Faya, who was dreaming, sitting between the luggage.
  She shrugged but said that the boat had too much draught.
Gimli immediately grabbed one of the oars and was distracted.

A few days on the great river later, the fellowship rested on a small island near the east bank.
In that night Frodo noticed Gollum, who had followed them.
When he told Aragorn, the man nodded and said, that the creates already followed them since Moria. Faya rolled her eyes and made a disparaging remark about he could have told the Hobbit, by all means, earlier. Aragorn just snickered and threw a hand of leaves after her. She laughed and duck away.
After that the night went by quiet.
When they went for a night journey in the eighth night, they sensed the rapids and had to retreat.
It was quite troublesome to get the boats to stand still. As soon as they reached the safe (or so they thought) eastern waterside, it began to rain down arrows at them.
Cowered they continued rowing.
More arrows flew above them, but no one was harmed.
The fellowship navigated to the western waterside
Under the bushes, that grew into the water, they decided to rest.
Legolas wanted to shoot back, but the clouds, that covered the moon made it impossible, even for his elf eyes, to see not to mention, hit.  
After a while they continued to row upriver. It should be the only attack that night.
However, they were restless, nevertheless. They were laying in the boats trying to get some sleep.
The weather changed and soon it began to rain. Water this time.
Faya was already almost sleeping, when she felt someone laying a blanket over her. Sleepily she opened her eyes a bit and saw a strand of Legolas' blonde hair, before she fell into a deep but restless sleep.

The next day began misty.
The grey wafts of mist spookily floated over the dull wate and the pale sun struggled to send her warming sunshine down.
While Aragorn and Boromir discussed how they should continue (on the water or on their feet), The Hobbits pitched into the proviant. Faya sat down by them and took the bit pf Lembras, Pippin offered her.
"You look tired, Lady Faya.", said someone behind her, sending her jumping. She turned and met brown Hobbit eyes.
"Sam!", she said. "You scared me."
"I am so sorry, m'lady. I didn't mean to."
"It's alright.", she smiled. "And yes. I am indeed tired. But I'm sure, I'm not the only one."
They looked around.
None of their friends seemed to be fully awake. Not even Aragorn, who normally never slept much.

Luckily, the mist cleared with morning and soon Aragorn and Legolas began to search around the waterside, while the others stayed with the boats.
They actually came back with quite pleasant news. They had found a place to land, but they would have to carry the boats there.
So, the Dúnadan and  Boromir carried the boats, while the rest carried the proviant, the weapons and the luggage that was left.

The afternoon was short and soon the dawn came. They all were tired, and Gimli had already fallen asleep sitting.
Aragorn decided that two would have guard for one hour. The first one would be himself and Faya.

The night went by uneventful and shortly before thesun came out, it began to rain again.
The fellowship awoke with the sun and at once continued their journey.
The rain fell so tight, that is was very hard to see more than one or two feet,but fortunately the rain didn't last long and soon the sky was clear again.
The stream was now quicker, and the boats flew over the water. It was almostimpossible to stop them or the change the direction, so they just hoped theywouldn't have a reason to try so.

Between the hills of Emyn Mulin a crack became visible, for which they head. And soon after they reached two giant stone men.
The fellowship reverential looked down, as they passed them.
All, except of Aragorn.
He was sitting at the bow of his boat and could feel it deep inside him. The fellinghe always longed to have.

He was at home.