Chapter 11

"He didn't do anything. He just wanted to talk."
Aragorn sat on the bed and looked up to his standing sister. "Are you sure?"
"I am sure."
"Well, I'm just saying. Actually, I was rather worried about the elf than you. Sometimes you can be unpredictable. You could have, without batting an eyelash, opened his throat."
"Why should I?"
"Well... He's an elf o Mirkwood. The prince of Mirkwood, to be exact."
"I know, I know, I saw him at the battlefield."
"Exactly."
The man stood up and went to the woman at the window. He laid is hand on her (face)cheek and looked into her eyes. In the moonlight he could see tears in them.
"Hey.", he said softly. "It's ok."
"I could have..."
"Shush."
"He shot the arrow."
Aragorn hugged her and gently pat her back.
"... I saw him. He..."
"Shush."
"He-he saw us and-and then he-he shot."
"It's ok."
"No, it isn't. he didn't aim for Òre."
"What do you mean?"
"He aimed for ME, Aragorn. For me! Òre pushed me away. He blocked the arrow. I should be dead in his place!"
It was a secret Faya never told anyone. Not even Elrond or Arwen. She was frightened of the knowledge that Òre died because of her.
She buried her face in Aragorns robes and let her tears run. The man helplessly patted her back. He didn't knew her like that. Was that what the ring wraith sword had done to her?
Closely entwined brother and sister stood at the window. A long, long while they just stood there, then Faya broke away.
Her eyes were red and puffy from the crying and on her cheeks were dry tear trails.
"Thank you.", she whispered.
"Any time.", Aragorn replied and kissed her on the forehead. "You should sleep now."
She nodded, they said "Good night.", and the man left the room.

Although it was already very late, Rivendell wasn't sleeping.
On the walls, guards were patrolling. 
Aragorn wandered restless through the palace. He was worried. Faya wasn't feeling well. She had become so fragile and he didn't knew if it had been the ring wraith sword or Legolas. He was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't noticed the elf, which came towards him, and so they rushed into each other.
"Sorry.", Aragorn mumbled, and was already turning away, when he recognized in whom he ran.
"Legolas.", he dryly said.
"Aiya,... Aragorn? Is that your name?"
"Yes, it is."
"So, you can't sleep, too?"
"Excuse me?"
"I asked if you also can't sleep. Because I can't."
"Why? Do you feel guilty?"
"Feel guilty...? ... Oh, that's what you want. Hm, when I think about it... maybe a little bit. But not too much. It was a war-"
"It was an ambush.", Aragorn cut in. "An insidious, malicious ambush. You and your folks attacked from the trees. They didn't even had a chance. You didn't give them a chance on a fair fight."
"Our people are enemies since... since my folk can remember."
"So, and that's reason to erase a whole nation, which was anyways only one pack of wolves." The man replied angrily.
"... Only one pack?", Legolas' aggressive expression changed to surprised.
"... Yes?", Aragorn said, unsettled by the sudden mood change of his interlocuter. "Faya's the last of her kind. Half-wolves were hunted down by elves for hundreds of years. Fayas pack was only one for a long time. Well, until like eighty years. Wait, you didn't know?"
"No... I thought... He said..." The elf looked like somebody just crashed his worldview and kicked into the trashcan. Aragorn, suddenly taken by pity, laid his hand in the elfs shoulder.
Silence.
"She forgave you."
"What?" Legolas couldn't believe. "She forgave me?"
"Yes. She said you was the one, who killed her brother. Her real brother. She said she, she wanted to kill you for it. But she didn't. do you know why?"
"No. I-"
"She didn't do because, she didn't want to take you from your father. She said there is nothing worse for a parent than to have his child dead before himself."
"She said this?"
"Not exactly that. But something like that."
"Really?"
Legolas wasn't sure if he could trust this man. Was he speaking the truth? This Aragorn looked tired, somehow worried.
"Do you don't feel well? You look tired.", the elf asked. The Dunedàn looked at him and sighed. Then he said: "It's probably a very bad idea, to tell you this but I want to tell you the truth. I'm worried about Faya. I'm very worried to be true. Since she was hurt by this ring wraith sword, she is... different. She's afraid of something and I don't know what it is. And that scares me. I don't know what to do."
He sighed once again, said "Good night." and then turned away.
Legolas stood there in the empty, only lighted by candles and torches corridor, all by himself. He shook his head and went to his room.