Rejection

At 5:05pm both mr and mrs evans walked through the door, "the guests could start arriving soon, go get changed you two" Katy waved her twins off.  The pair nodded and ran off upstairs to go get ready for their birthday celebrations, even though it wasn't really for Cassie, it was more for Jake.  The two adults hadn't even wished Cassie a happy birthday yet, Jake was the main person in the house other then their parents, Cassie was just the background character.

              Jake was in his room doing random stuff, talking to his friends over his play station probably since they would show up at their doorstep anytime soon.  Cassie wasn't allowed to invite anyone, not that she had anyone to invite, but she wasn't even allowed to invite a single friend, yet Jake was having 7 friends over from his all boys private school.  Cassie closed the door behind her and sighed, she hated this day every year, it was painful to relive.  She picked out her outfit and put it on, it was nothing special but it was a little more dressier then she would wear on a normal day to day basis.

              Jake was wearing casual black jeans and a Levi t shirt, the pair walked out of their rooms at the same time and ran downstairs, "Ethan and josh are outside Jake" Pete waved Jake outside, "cass come help me" he added and waved her ove...

Jake was wearing casual black jeans and a Levi t shirt, the pair walked out of their rooms at the same time and ran downstairs, "Ethan and josh are outside Jake" Pete waved Jake outside, "cass come help me" he added and waved her over to the kitchen. She sighed and walked over to the counter, "take them outside and put them on the table" he handed her some bowls of food. She took them and done as he said, as she walked outside the boys turned to look at her but she ignored them. Jay was stood outside talking to Jake since he wasn't need yet, he smiled at Cassie as she wandered back into the house to fetch out more food. Jay decided to go help her so he followed her inside, "let me take that" he smiled and took a platter of food from her hands, "thanks" she smiled and handed him it. She secured the other plate of food in her hands and blew her wild curly hair out of her eyes.

               "Come on, cass just one photo..." Pete signalled for her to sit on the chair, she huffed and sat down next to her brother, "smile" Katy nudged her arm.  Jay was stood by the sliding doors holding a cold beer since it was the beginning of summer and it was the kids birthday celebration, he watched the family take a picture, his eyes were drawn to cassies fake smile though.  She was smiling but her eyes were blank, like they had no soul in them, it broke his heart. 

               "Time to blow out the candles..." Katy sang her way over to the table.  All the adults stood around the table as the long stretch of decorated napkin was accompanied by many children on either sides of the table.  There were smaller children, like family members, and a few of jakes friends too.  No one was there for Cassie though, maybe jay, she thought maybe he was there for her, but after all the only reason he is at the house in the first place was because of his work.  Nothing more...Pete placed the cake onto the table as the candles were lit, Cassie looked at them,1..2..3..8..9..13..14 candles she counted in her head.  Why was everyone so happy? They're only getting older, getting wiser, adapting to this cruel world.