Rainer: Snowfall & Ill tidings.

Over a fortnight had passed since lord Warner had departed Sunwharf.
During his absence, Rainer had taken his father's seat. This was not a duty the young Sunbarrow enjoyed. He had taken strides to avoid it in the past. Instead, he would often ride out alongside his father.
He much preferred it that way. His blade at his side, the breeze in his face, and a strong mount beneath him.
Yet here he was. Ruling the western isle in his father's name, in his family's name.
Circumstances had placed him on the 'throne'.

The village, the prophecy. His father's change.

They had all lead him to stay as far away from his lord father as he could. But even though his father was over a hundred miles away it was as if he was still there.

Warner's voice haunted him as he sat atop his ancestral seat, his face appeared to him in the night. As did the prophecy...

The clouds had gathered in the night, and snow had begun to fall upon Sunwharf.

Such weather was a rarity in the Sundom.

It had been near six decades since a wintery blanket descended on the nation. Many would see it as an omen, they would believe the Sun God had turned away from them, and that the nation was in peril.

Rainer awoke to a thud on his chamber door and the piercing screech of his younger brother calling through the thick iron.

"Rainer, wake up it's snowing. It's snowing, wake up."

The lordling groaned wrapping himself in furs and began staggering to the door.

As it opened the younger Sunbarrow brother charged inside, and gripped his brother by the hand, guiding him to the balcony.

"Look at the snow. It's really snowing Rainer. Have you ever seen anything like it?" There was a sparkle of fascination in his eyes, an excitement in his tone that only a child could convey, it was pure joy.

The older of the two pulled the furs around himself tighter and stepped outside swallowing a lungful of the cold morning air.

"Extraordinary," Rainer muttered as he held out his palm to collect snow upon it.

"Grandfather told me stories of the snow." He said. "I know now that he could have never done it justice." Rainer was as entranced as his brother. He was truly astonished how such a fury of white had descended in the night.

"Why don't you coax Zanna from whatever book she's entranced with and play?" Rainer turned his palms attention to the bemused boy's head and ruffled his hair.

"She's no fun! Can't you come and play? Please brother, please." Dash's lip began to pout and quiver, as he looked up at his brother pleadingly.

"Your brother has duties to attend, my love. Run along, go play with your sister." A familiar voice came from the doorway behind the two.

Lady Sunbarrow had sat beside her eldest son each day since her husband had left. She counselled him, observed him. But mostly she looked upon him with worry. Worry that her son was lost.

The two had not spoken since the day in the arena.

Rainer had begun to take his meals in the gardens; that had been his favourite place since he was a boy.

He spent most of his day indoors. Pandering to the needs of the common folk. He did not mind them so much. Nor did he mind the soldier's visits.

It was the lords that caused him grief and annoyance.

One by one the vassals of nearby holdfasts would come and kiss his ring. They would wish his mother good health and pray to the Sun for another healthy heir.