Mornings

I don't wanna seem the way I do,

Karl's eyes fluttered open.

But I'm confident when I'm with you.

He gazed up at the ceiling, eyes adjusting to the natural light that spilled into his room.

Lately all I feel is bad and bruised,

He took a deep breath and smiled.

Tired of tripping on my shoes.

August eleventh, his first day of Senior year, seven AM.

Karl sat up and shuffled to the side if his bed. He slid off of the suide rather smoothly, clothed feet softly thudding onto the floor. He examined himself in the mirror. Happy with what he saw, he sent himself a soft smile.

He was wearing an oversized light blue hoodie that his best friend Nick had left over at his house yesterday, paired with some simple black gym shorts, and all tied together with black tube socks that had two little white stripes at the top.

But when he loves me, I feel like I'm floating.

He only smiled wider when the chorus of his favorite song, Cloud 9 by Beach Bunny, started playing.

When he calls me pretty I feel like somebody.

Karl simply adored the song. He fell in love with is the first time he heard it listening to a random playlist he found on spotify.

He loved it so much that he decided to make it his alarm to wake up to every morning.

Even when we fade eventually, I'm nothing;

He grabbed the collar of the hoodie and brought it up to his nose, inhaling the comforting scent.

Nick always smelt of fire and Maple, quite a peculiar combination of scents, but god did Karl love it.

It didnt even have anything to do with the cologne or body wash that he used, he just always smelt like that. Just one of the natural things that came with people.

You will always be my favorite form of loving.

He heard a soft knock at his door, followed by his mother's gentle voice.

"Karl," She beckoned at her son, "are you awake yet lovey?"

He quickly made his way to his bedroom door and turned the knob. He was greeted by his mother's soft smile and cheerful eyes.

Everyone always said that they looked very alike. Both had a certain gentleness to their expressions at almost all times, they had striking cyan eyes, and soft light-ish brown hair.

Karl took great pride in looking like his mother, she was always quite beautiful.

"Good morning my beautiful baby." She said as she placed her hands on the sides of her son's face and planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

She had to stand on the tips of her toes to reach the top of his head, with him standing at 5'7 and her at 5'3, so whenever this happened Karl would lean his head down ever so slightly to make it easier for her.

"Good morning Mom." He smiled brightly at her and leaned into her palms.

She took a second to look at him, examining his outfit.

"I see you're wearing Nick's hoodie, you look cute." She inquired.

Karl could feel his cheeks heat up and his shoulders tensed ever so slightly. His mother peered at him with knowing eyes.