Eight

"She is not of you blood, is she?"

Wanda Maximoff looked up at the Norse god in front of her.

"No." She said, "But she is my sister."

"I don't doubt that." Thor replied, staring off at the horizon deep in thought.

Eventually he seemed to come to a conclusion.

"I think I know who she is." He said, "I think I know where she came from."

"You do?" Wanda asked.

"I have to go to Asgard and check on something, when I come back I'll tell you if I'm right." Thor said, walking away from the railing.

"Wait, Asgard?"

"I shall see you when I return with answers."

And he left. There was a strike of light night that made Wanda jump, but when she looked to the spot where Thor was, there was nothing but an empty space. With a sigh, she made her way back inside the hellicarrier.

"Wanda." Steve greeted as she passed him.

She nodded back.

"Any luck?" Tony asked her.

Wanda paused.

"No." She said blandly.

"We will help her, Wanda." Steve promised.

"You don't know that." Wanda shook her head.

"We won't give up." He said firmly.

Wanda bit backs response and just left, continuing her journey to the room with the glass cell. There were four guards positioned outside the doors.

"I'm here to-" she began.

"We can't let you in." One of the agents said.

"I know, but if I could just speak to her, I could-"

"I'm sorry." Another agent interrupted, apologetically, "But Fury said no one in or out unless they're bringing her food."

Wanda paused.

"Where is the nearest kitchen?" She asked.

The agents exchanged glances.

"...Down the hall, third door on the left." One of them sighed.

"Thank you." Wanda said appreciatively.

She hurried down the hall and grabbed the first food item from the kitchen that she came across- an apple. Wanda nearly ran back to the doors separating her from her sister, but where she got there, several more agents had arrived until they filled up the hall way, along with Fury. He turned to see Wanda and looked at her sadly.

"I'm going in." Wanda said.

"We're landing soon. We have to move her." Fury said.

"You're letting her out?"

"Moving her. There's a facility in upstate New York that can hold her until-"

"No."

"Until we can-"

"Absolutely not."

"Wanda."

"You aren't keeping my sister in a cage any longer!" Wanda said, and her eyes glowed red.

"Please control yourself, Wanda." Fury said. "Helena is currently a threat to herself and others."

"She's twelve!"

"She's powerful. We just want to help."

"Then let me see her." Wanda bargained.

Fury frowned.

"If you truly want to help, let me speak to her. I can help her too." Wanda continued, "You know I can just blast my way in there if you don't let me see her."

"...fine. But make it quick, and if she starts to get aggravated, you have to go." Fury told her.

"Okay." Wanda agreed.

The agents shuffled to the side and the doors slid open. Wanda walked in alone. The girl inside the glass cell had her eyes closed. She was slumped over from exhaustion and her hair was a mess, along with her baggy clothes that were too big for her small form.

"Helena?" Wanda called out, walking forward slowly.

Helena didn't move.

"Helena, it's me, Wanda."

That name changed everything. Helena's green eyes opened and she inhaled sharply. She looked straight at her sister.

"Wanda." Helena said quietly, her voice cracking from the way she had been screaming before.

"Oh, Helena, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault!" Wanda rushed to the glass.

"Why didn't you come?" Helena asked, not moving any closer, "I called you. I called you over and over, but you didn't come."

"They wouldn't let me in-"

"You still could've come." Helena said, and Wanda didn't reply because they both knew it was true.

Wanda had holed herself up in a room, mourning in solitary. She knew she should have checked up on her little sister and done more to help her sooner. Guilt flooded across her face.

"I'm sorry." Wanda repeated.

Helena slowly crawled forward until she was right in front of Wanda. She rested her head on the glass.

"I don't know what's happening to me." Helena said, "I can't control this- not anymore. And when it gets out of control, when I feel all of the forces rushing out of me- ... Wanda, I'm scared."

"I know, we can stop this, we can find a way to stop this. You're going to feel okay again." Wanda said.

"B-but Wanda, there's something else." Helena whispered.

Wanda leaned closer to the glass to hear her.

"An agent opened the doors to give me food and the energy went out. It started draining them, Wanda. I could feel their life force slipping away as I got more energy- but I couldn't stop it. And the worst part is, for a moment all the pain went away, and I didn't want to stop it. I didn't want to stop it, Wanda. I'm a horrible, awful person! I- I-"

The dark matter began to seep out of Helena and her eyes widened.

"No." She gasped.

"Shh, it's okay, Helena! It's okay!" Wanda tried to soothe her.

"Go! Go before I hurt you!" Helena shouted.

"You could never." Wanda said.

Agents began to enter the room, marching quickly over to Wanda and placing a hand on her arm.

"Stop." She said.

They pulled her back a bit.

"I said, stop." Wanda pushed back a few agents with her powers.

Helena watched her, as the darkness around her grew with her worry for her sister.

"Helena-" Wanda began.

"Please go." Helena begged her, "Please just go."

Wanda hesitated before nodding, and she turned to leave.

"I won't give up on you, Helena." She said before leaving for good.

Helena watched Wanda go, but a part of her now wished she hadn't. A part of her didn't care about her powers or danger. She just wanted her big sister to hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay.