Nineteen

Helena awoke to the door to her room flying open and banging against the wall. An unimpressed Loki store in and crossed his arms, looking at her. As Helena tried to catch her breath and fully wake up, he began to speak.

"I said right after breakfast, and look at you, you haven't even eaten yet, have you?" Loki asked sharply.

"I must have slept in, I'm sorry-"

"Is this all a joke to you? Do you even want to learn how to control your magic?!"

"Of course I do." Helena said.

"Then why aren't you taking this seriously?! Honestly, mortals have such fragile emotions; you should have been able to learn three times as much as you have already- what? Are you... are you crying?"

Helena shook her head but the tears going down her face said otherwise. Loki shifted awkwardly and looked less mad and more nervous.

"I just want to know you're committed." He said.

"I am- I just-... it's so hard." Helena cried.

"What's so hard?" Loki asked.

"People are dying, and it's my fault." She said.

"What? What people? Who's dead?" Loki questioned.

"...I just don't want anyone else to...die-"

"What people?" He pressed.

"My brother... and Frigga." Helena said in a voice barely above a whisper.

Loki's face grew cold once again.

"What do you mean?" He asked stonily.

Helena realized she shouldn't have said anything, but it was too late. Loki heard, and he was mad.

"I didn't mean for it to happen-" She blurted out.

"Tell me what happened."

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry-"

"Tell me!" He yelled.

It was silent apart from Helena's crying for a moment.

"We were practicing m-magic when the Dark Elves came. Frigga told me to hide, but I- I didn't want to, so she-... so she cast some kind of spell. I couldn't move again until it was too late."

"You were there." Loki mumbled to himself.

"I'm so sorry." Helena apologized again.

"You were there?!" He demanded angrily now.

"I didn't mean for it to-"

"Of course you didn't mean for it to happen! You didn't mean for any of this to happen! And yet it still did, didn't it?! Disaster follows you wherever you go, and you look for others to blame! It's your fault all this happened!" Loki yelled at her until she was sobbing.

She couldn't speak anymore, all she could do is sit there and hear the harsh words in her head spoken out loud.

"I see now why you can't control it." Loki continued, "You don't want to! You enjoy this chaos! You had your fist taste of death with your brother, but that wasn't enough was it?!"

"Shut up!" Helena yelled back, standing up from the bed.

She turned and ran out of the room before he could say anything else. With her vision blurred from her tears, she stumbled into walls until she hit something that moved.

"Helena?" Thor asked, concerned.

"I don't- this isn't- I need to... take them off." Helena said hysterically.