|2| Protector - Claire Russel x Drunk!Reader

"Another one," You raised your hand visibly shaking from the drunkenness that overflows within you. A bartender shakes his head disapprovingly, but doesn't deny your request.

You always came to Afterlife from late in the afternoon to the early hours in the morning. Sometimes you would stay an entire day, drinking your sorrows away. You weren't a drunk before but it just came.

It started when you lost your mother. She was really close to you. When she died she was found in her car in an isolated part of the badlands. A hit and run some might say.

You stared at the neon green liquid in the shot glass. One of the strongest drinks at Afterlife.

"So pretty, so veryy prettyy," your voice dragged in a sing song tone. No one paid you any mind, you were like this everyday. A regular.

In a second you downed the drink. It's a wonder how well you held your liquor. On the other hand you knew that tomorrow morning, would bring an extremely painful headache. But that's for the future. Right now you are just drinking your sorrows away.

"Bring me a *hiccup* Johnny Silverhand!! Pronto Joey!!" You yelled, receiving dirty looks from nearby patrons. The bartender sighs, his name isn't Joey, but you didn't care. As long as you got what you paid for, you could care less what anyone's name was at this point.

Before you can reach for your new drink a hand takes it out of your reach.

"Oi fool! Didn't your *hiccup* mommy teach you *hiccup* any manners," you exclaimed drunkenly. You looked at the person who took away your paradise. It was a woman. A stranger.

"Y/n, you shouldn't drink so much," Her eyebrows raise at you sloppily reaching for the drink that is near her. She stood at the counter staring down at you. You noticed her clothing. She worked here, her name tag showed 'Claire'.

"How *hiccup* do you know *hiccup* my name?" Your voice slurs. You stop reaching for your drink, as your attention shifts to the woman shaking her head down at you.

"If I had a eurodollar for every time you said that, I would be able to buy myself a joint like this," she sighs as she looks at you twirling your hair in awe.

"Woah," you pretend something behind Claire catches your attention. Claire turns around in confusion. Once she turns back around, she shakes her head as she watches you drink the from the shot glass she tried keeping out of your reach.

"Another!" Your throat burns slightly as you swallow the bitter liquid. You slam down the shot glass but not hard enough to break it.

"Hey, Gary take over my shift for tonight would you," Claire shouts over towards one of the bartenders. She walks around the bar counter towards you and helps you to your feet.

"My drink!!" You shout in protest as she places your arms around her neck.

"No more Y/n, I'm taking you home," A loud sigh escapes your lips as you giggle for no reason.

...

Minutes later you stumble over your feet as Claire helps you into your run down apartment. She places you on the bed and helps you change out of your dirty clothes.

"So tired....." You fall flat onto the bed, disregarding the fact that Claire still has to help you into your clean shirt. Without realising it, tears begin to run down your face. Claire notices this and hops on to the bed beside you, placing her arms around you in a comforting manner.

"Today is the anniversary of my mom's death," you say softly. Voice broken.

You never visited your mother's grave at the crematorium, you didn't believe in that. However, it's not like you forgot her. You just wished you could forget the sight of her. Yes that's right, you were the one who found her body. The most traumatic experience you have ever encountered. The authorities said that she was a victim of a robbery.

Claire knew this already. How much that moment affected you. She hated watching you drown yourself in alcohol at Afterlife. Her eyes were always watching you protectively. Mainly at Afterlife and she had asked V to check up on you now and then when she couldn't.

Although it made sense to her as to why you drank so heavily these past few weeks. You mentioned it quite a few times how your mother's death anniversary is coming up. Only when you were drunk though. Many bartenders thought you were just sprouting nonsense. But Claire knew better.

She holds onto you tighter. Your body shakes from the deep sadness within you.

"I feel so alone," you whisper. Your eyes close as you begin dozing off.

"Don't worry, Y/n, I'll always be here," her words fade out as you fall into a deep sleep.

A/n My attempt at a Claire Russel oneshot. Might not be as good, but it was fun to write :)