21 - If I'm willing to do it, why do you hesitate?

Daniel still couldn't grasp what he had just asked. He couldn't believe he was actually thinking about going outside and trying to send away the vampire whose presence was enough to send Ana and Teresa into hiding behind the metal door that muffled all the sounds.

"Why would you even go outside?" Ana asked him.

He looked at her. The flames from the candle danced on her face, her eyes reflecting the light like those of a cat.

"If you decide to wait here until the vampire outside leaves, does that mean I have to wait here with you?" he asked.

Ana cast a glance Teresa's way. She didn't answer him and he didn't like it. He was sure that if he would be forced to stay in the confinement of their cabin with these two, sooner or later the short-haired one would lose her patience and turn him into a meal.

"I could tell him that you're not here at the moment. No, no, no! Even better, I could tell him that you left and that you don't live here anymore," Daniel suggested.

"Why not just tell him that this house belongs to you?" Teresa scoffed.

"Or that! I could tell him that!" Daniel agreed enthusiastically. If Teresa included herself in the conversation, then his idea might not be a complete nonsense.

Teresa shook her head, looked at Ana and said, "Do you see that? He thinks he can lie to a vampire."

Just like that, it became clear to Daniel that she was only toying with him. He didn't appreciate the condescending tone of her voice, but he was smart enough to realize the truth behind her words. The vampire could just command him to tell the truth and he'd spill it out like marbles from a tipped over jar. He bit into his lip. "Lying to him wouldn't work," he had to admit. "But what if you commanded me to lie? Would I have to obey you?"

Teresa's eyes narrowed and her head swiftly turned to Ana. Once again Daniel had a strong feeling that they were conversing without spoken words.

After a minute or so, Ana said, "We never heard of anyone doing that."

"Maybe it's worth a shot," Daniel replied. "I haven't been able to resist your commands before. Why would now be any different?"

"Because you would be faced with another vampire," Teresa simply said.

"It's too risky," Ana added. "He can influence human minds, we cannot predict what he might do to you."

Daniel took a moment to envision a scenario in which he was opening the door, only to see a dark demon rushing towards him from the direction of the forest, his feet not touching the ground. He rubbed his face with both palms. Get a grip! He ordered himself. He's not waiting at the edge of the forest for someone to open the door. He's standing right in front of it and knocks, like some sort of a door-to-door salesman. Still, no matter how hard he tried, picturing a man in a suit, with a hat on his head and a briefcase in his hand proved to be too difficult.

"Then I'll just have to stay far enough from the door so he can't reach me. Because of, you know, the whole 'he can't walk over the threshold' thing. I tell him you haven't been here in ages and close the door right in his face."

Ana looked at him. She crossed her arms, lifting one hand to her lips. She shook her head. "It's too big a risk."

"I'd be doing all the risking," Daniel said. "If I'm willing to do it, why do you hesitate?"

"There's truth in that," Teresa agreed. "We can't wait here forever like sitting ducks. We have to try, although the chances of success are slim."

Ana's glowing eyes kept looking at him. He wondered what was going through her mind. He knew Teresa didn't need to give it a second thought. If putting his life at stake was a price of their further freedom, he was sure she would be willing to gamble on the spot. In a way, she turned out to be more like him than Ana. Teresa took actions without deep pondering. For that reason, he addressed her, "We have to stop wasting time. We have to get on with the plan before I chicken out. If Ana won't do it, you command me."