28 - We have a problem.

Daniel found a payphone not far from the main reception. He fished a coin from his pocket, but stopped when he brought it up to the slot.

What is Teresa and Ana's phone number?

Usually, he had no trouble remembering phone numbers. While others carried small address books, he had all the important numbers memorized. He skimmed through his memory, but the numbers he recalled were useless. His mother's apartment, Lucio's home number, home numbers of Victor, Manuel, Rafael, Bernard, the number of Ground Zero – he would never need any of those numbers again.

He considered calling the Information Service, but he wouldn't be able to tell neither the address nor the last name of the person whose number he was looking for.

On the shelf by the payphone stood a phonebook. Daniel picked it up and, without much hope, started flipping through the thin, yellowish pages filled with numbers and names of strangers.

Just as he was ready to quit the pointless page-turning, Eugene passed by him. He no longer wore a uniform. He looked so ordinary as he walked towards the exit, wearing gray pants and a brown leather jacket.

"Hey, Eugene!" Daniel called.

Eugene turned around, surprised to see it was Daniel who spoke. "You're still here?" he asked.

"Yes," Daniel replied. "I need to call Ana, but I don't know her phone number. Do you know it, by any chance?"

"I do," Eugene said. He took a coin out of his own pocket, inserted it into the slot, and pressed six figures to dial the required number.

"Thanks," Daniel said as he accepted the handset in one hand, while the other handed Eugene the coin he was going to use himself.

Eugene nodded, took the coin and waved before he proceeded to the exit.

Daniel turned towards the payphone, grasping the metal wire connected to the handset. After only a few rings, Teresa answered.

"It's me," Daniel said in a haste. "Listen, he's here." He paused, then added in a hushed tone, "The vampire who came looking for you. He's here, near the hospital. And I think he killed someone."

"Where are you now?" Teresa's voice was the voice of the commander in a combat. Cold, efficient.

"I'm still at the hospital", Daniel replied.

"Did he see you?"

"No. He couldn't have seen me. At least I think he couldn't. I was inside and, as soon as I saw him, I hid behind the wall." He took a moment to think, then he asked, "Can he sense me, somehow?"

"He can't," Teresa replied. "You're not his blood line. Were Ana or I there, it would have been a different story, but you are in no way connected to him."

Daniel let the words sink in. "Was that how he found you? He could sniff out your scent?"

"There's no time to explain that now," Teresa cut him off. "Stay where you are. Do not go anywhere near the windows or the doors. And do not go out."

"He can't come into the hospital, can he?" Daniel remembered how he was unable to step over the threshold at the cabin, uninvited.

"I'm afraid that's not the case with buildings intended for public use," Teresa explained. "Still, I doubt he would enter the hospital without some particular reason. I repeat, do not go anywhere near the windows or the doors."

"Okay," Daniel replied. He looked around. Only a few people were in the halls, each minding their own business. Just when he was about to ask whether he should stay there all night, Teresa spoke.