17 - What problems do you speak of?

Daniel had no idea what time it was. He didn't dare to draw the curtains apart. The little light that peeked in was in no way enough to indicate the time of day.

The house was quiet. Even though he did turn the TV on, he muted it, not wanting to disturb the homeowners. The only sounds were coming from the outside; gentle hum of the pine tree branches, chirping of the birds in search for food, wood pigeons calling each other, but he had no way of quieting those. He wasn't allowed to leave the cabin.

Teresa was the first to come out of the room she retreated to.

"You're still here?" she asked, casting a sideways glance at him.

"I didn't touch anything," he said, anticipating new accusations from her.

"I know," she said and sat on an armchair opposite him. She said nothing else, she just stared at him, making him feel like a circus attraction.

His sigh of relief when Ana showed up was audible. A large black bag was thrown over her shoulder.

"Ready to go?" Teresa asked and stood up, giving Daniel a chance to relax.

Ana gave her a nod and they both headed to the door. When Teresa opened it, Daniel had a chance to notice that it was already dusk.

"Wait for us here," Ana said just before she exited and closed the door behind her.

Although he couldn't see her eyes, Daniel presumed which color they were because he felt the power of her words compelling him.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hours had passed since Ana and Teresa left, at least that was Daniel's conclusion. He had no way of knowing for sure. He didn't own a watch and, no matter how hard his eyes searched, he didn't find one neither in the living room nor in the kitchen.

The evening news ended quite some time ago. The report about the old factory that went up in smoke was presented as a tragic accident. A group of young men inadvertently started a fire that got out of control. Fueled by substantial amounts of alcohol, it spread rapidly, devouring the factory and, to a great sadness, ending the lives of the young men trapped inside.

Daniel sneered at the report as was presented. The truth was much, much worse, but he knew that it could never see the light of day. Judging by the latest information he collected, the ones responsible for the retribution that took the lives of Lucio and the guys, were people in high positions.

He turned the TV off and remained sitting on the sofa in the darkness. He dozed off. The images of a burning building kept dancing in his mind. He was aware that it was just a dream, but was unable to chase it away. Unlocking of the door did it for him. He stood up straight when Teresa and Ana returned. He wouldn't be able to see them at all in their dark clothes, had one of them not turned on the light.

Ana tossed the bag on the armchair. It wasn't as empty as it was when they left, but Daniel had no time to think about that once he saw just how infuriated both of the women were.

Daniel had no idea what was going on, did it have anything to do with him, or maybe the news. In any case, he had no intention of asking any questions. He remained sitting on the edge of the sofa, preparing himself for the outburst that might come his way.

"Now will you tell me what is going on?" Teresa asked Ana. "Why did we have to return in such a haste? Were there any problems? Don't tell me that he tried to hustle you!"

"He didn't," Ana replied. "But there will be problems. Of that I'm sure."

Teresa's eyes narrowed. Daniel was convinced that, if her porcelain skin allowed it, her forehead would wrinkle as well. "What problems do you speak of?"

"The problems he invoked." Ana's eyes met Teresa's.

Daniel felt his mouth going dry, making a simple task such as swallowing a challenge. The problems he invoked. He didn't know what problems he created them, but he also didn't ask them to bring him with them. He didn't want to cause any problems, nor did he want to feel on his own skin their way of solving the problems.

"What problems?" Teresa asked in a stone-cold voice.

"He spoke of us."

Ana's response caused Teresa's fists to clench. A cracking sound was heard before she hissed, "What?!"

Just for a moment, her sharp canines were exposed to the view. Enough to tie Daniel's guts into a knot.

"Apparently, he is not the only one with secret assistants with special skills ready to do his dirty work." Ana sauntered to the other armchair and slumped to it before continuing. "A couple of days ago, he attended a function and let his tongue be quicker than his mind."

"The Mayor," Daniel said in a hushed tone. He gawked when he realized who they were speaking about. It wasn't him, Daniel, who caused them problems. It was the Mayor.

While he was pondering that idea, Teresa sat right next to him. She grabbed his mandible, her fingers gripping him like a vise. "Don't be a wise-ass," she said quietly, but her proximity sent icy shivers down Daniel's spine. "Our businesses do not concern you. Is that clear?"

He nodded, or at least that was what he tried to do, but Teresa's grip made it almost impossible. She released him with a shove and turned her attention to Ana. "What exactly did he say."

Ana looked at Daniel for just a moment. He assumed she was thinking about how much should she say in his presence. "Do you want me to go somewhere?" he asked.

"No need," she replied. "I can always command you to forget."

If he had a mirror at that moment, he was sure he would be even more pale than the two of them. He always considered himself brave. With his childhood, everything he's been through, there weren't many things that could spook him, but these two women freaked him out. Nevertheless, he was curious to find out what problems the Mayor created for them. When Ana continued, he was all ears.

"Our Mayor was introduced to the mayor of a town not very different than ours. Few drinks later, they were sharing stories. Mr. Mayor learnt that his new friend had a group of supernatural vigilantes on his side. Naturally, our Mr. Eber could not refrain from boasting about us."

"That son of a..." Teresa spat out the words. She cracked her knuckles, and her canines made another appearance. They seemed much longer than they were when she bared her teeth. "If I had known it, I would have torn him apart right on the spot."

"I know. That was why I prompted us to leave."

"If only you were in charge of keeping guard..." Teresa didn't have to finish the sentence for Ana to know what she meant.

Daniel knew it too; their town would be mayorless. The part that left him puzzled was the behavior of the two. They were aware that others like them existed, and he was sure that others knew that they weren't the only ones. So, why was this such a big deal?

"How much time do you think we have?" Teresa asked.

"I believe it's a matter of days. Not enough."

Teresa jumped to her feet. "Let's make sure they don't find us here when they come."

Dear readers, thank you for reading this story of mine.

Things are getting more complicated, there's truble in sight.

Feel free to tell me what do you think about the story so far.

If you liked this chapter, do consider voting for it.

Until next chapter...