Chapter 7

Iris' POV:

It was a cold day the next time I met Rose. The weather was dark and gloomy, like it was going to rain. I had brought an umbrella - just in case- and had to wear a couple of layers to keep warm. But I liked this weather. It was cool and refreshing and the cold breeze always made me feel as if all my worries would go away. I remember sticking out my small face from the window and feeling the air blasting at my face, making it hard to breathe when I was younger.

Rose seemed excited. She probably was. Maybe her friend.. Eliza had visited? Maybe they made up. "Oooo, you're here early," she said as she sat down on our bench. "How are you?" She asked me if I was okay, again. She didn't run away like in 6th grade. Maybe she slightly understood... "I'm fine. I didn't have much interaction with my parents this week," I replied. "You?"

She clapped her hands and smiled brightly. It was fake. Why did she keep faking it? "Okay, okay. SOOO... you knowwwww..." she slowly said. She was losing confidence in whatever she was trying to say. "I don't have friends. Ever since Eliza left, I haven't made many. And I'm pretty sure... you don't have many either. Maybe?" I nodded. "Yeah. Thanks for reminding me that I don't have friends. It's always a nice kick in the butt to hear I have no friends." She started fidgeting with her hands. "I'm sorry, I didn't think this through..." she trailed off. I shrugged. "It's fine. There's nothing wrong with being independent."

"Okay. Yeah. I guess so," she said. She took a big breath and looked at me straight in the eyes. "WHAT IF WE BECAME FRIENDS?" She intensely stared at me before covering her face with her hands. The nearby light bulb came on with a small ding as it shone its bright, white light on us. I was still staring awkwardly at her covered face. I didn't want friends. They were just a waste of time and you always had to use your money for them. Like for their birthdays. Or Christmas. Or stuff like that where it's "manners" to give them something. I didn't have the money to do that. It was just... difficult having friends. Difficult for me, at least.

But Rose was different. She knew everything I could possibly tell someone about my life. My parents. My situation. She also told me hers. Maybe not everything about her life, but still. "Look, like I can be there for you and when you're hurt, and you can be there for me when I'm going through stuff," she whispered. "I miss having friends, so it's a win-win to me.."

She looked desperate and embarrassed. She probably worked on figuring out how to ask me this the whole night.
"Sorry, I guess this is pretty random of me... I'm sorry, you can say no, of course, I don't mean to be such a bother- But then I always am..." She rambled on and on as I thought, until I cut her off. I then said something that would forever change my life.

"Okay."
"Wh-what? You want to be friends with me? Really?"
"Okay," I repeated. "Like you said, I don't have friends, and neither do you. We can help each other out, then,"

Rose's POV:
My excitement shattered once Iris explained her reasoning behind being my friend. "We can help each other out then," she had said. Of course she didn't actually want to be my friend. She just thought it would be beneficial to herself. Then again, why would she be my friend? We're so different... Iris has such a cool vibe to her, while I just give off dork energy. The two of us would never be a good match. Iris broke my thoughts as she called my name. "Let's go eat something. I don't wanna go back home."

All during our first hours as official "friends," I only thought about Eliza and my friendship with her. Somehow, we went together as well as peanut butter and jelly, despite her being so much like Iris, and me being... me. I had a bit of hope for a second that Iris and I could actually become close, but that flame was extinguished when I thought about how Eliza and I ended. There was no way that Iris would like me for me. I just wasn't good enough.
Iris agreed to come over to my house after I begged multiple times. I wanted to at least become comfortable and feel like "actual" friends. I thought coming and going over to each other's houses was a way to make a stronger bond.

We arrived in front of my house and I saw Iris stare at it in awe. I smiled and pulled her in. Inside, she turned pale and looked at me in disbelief. "How... is your house so... big?" she asked me. I then realized that her parents were druggies and she barely lived in the old apartment she claimed to have lived in for years. She probably would be in disbelief... I was so stupid, I should have thought of that!

Her head twisted everywhere, checking every single door, every room, her chairs, and I could tell she was wishing she lived here. I felt so bad... My family - from my grandparents' generation - were well off and we did live in one of the biggest houses in our neighborhood. I never told Iris.. But I really should have. I could have used my money to help her, but... Eliza hated me using my money on her. I thought Iris would think the same.

My mom came rushing down with Clover in her arms and a few seconds later, she then saw Iris. Her face lit up and she smiled at me so brightly and happily. "Oh, Hello! Welcome!" my mom excitedly said. "Are you Iris?" Iris nodded, but she didn't seem too happy to see my mom. "You are! Oh my, I've heard so much about you, honey. Rose talks about you everyday!" Iris looked at me and I blushed. My mom was so clueless. "Ok ok, make yourself at home. I'm Sunny, Rose's mom," she said, holding out her right hand. Iris shook. Uncomfortably. "This is my youngest, Clover. He's 4 years old, and then.."

Matthew was stomping downstairs and I glared at him. "And that's Rose's twin, Matthew." He saw Iris and looked confused. "Wait... Rose brought her... friend?" he slowly asked. "I thought Iris was fake, though." I wanted to so badly poke his eyes out at that moment. He smiled at Iris and went on his way to drink a cup of water. My mom ushered us upstairs and into my room in which Iris almost fainted looking at.

Iris' POV:

Rose was rich. She obviously was. Her house was 10 times bigger than mine and her room was already 2 times bigger. The clean, white marble floor felt smooth against my feet and her stairs were so.. perfect. And her room! It was so pretty and cute with photos of her and some other girl hanging around. "That's Eliza," she suddenly said. The other girl was Eliza. "I took many pictures with her, as you can see."

I nodded and stood awkwardly. I felt too dirty and poor to even sit on the carpet in her room. She smiled and forced me to sit in a chair that hung from the ceiling. I was terrified as the chair wobbled everytime I moved, but it was so comfy and fun. Deep down, I was wishing I was Rose. Her mom was a gorgeous woman with such beautiful eyes and hair that looked so silky. Clover was adorable and Matthew.. Well.. he actually seemed annoying, but he's 100 times better than my parents. She was rich, pretty, and kind. I was feeling such immense jealousy when Rose's mom came into the room and told us to come down and eat some fruits.

I was scared of Rose's mom. What if she didn't like that I had druggies as parents and lived in such.. terrible places? What if she thought I would be a bad influence for her daughter? Did Rose even tell her mom about my situation? Before leaving the room, I quickly asked her, "Hey. Did you tell her... about my life?" She took my hand and shook her head. "No. Do you want me to?" I nodded. "Yes. But after I go." She nodded and we ate apple slices and the sweetest strawberries I've ever eaten. I wished so bad that this was my life. My everyday life...

Rose POV: My mom was immensely worried about Iris when I told her. I was to invite her over everytime we and she were free.